The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 12:56 PM

sevenmxf is on a distinguished road
Default Advice for novices fishing the Delaware this weekend?

Hey all,

The Battenkill (our "local" trout stream) has shut down my son and I. Three attempts. Three weeks. No fish.

So, we've decided to take a weekend trip to the West Branch, Delaware. We'll be in Hancock, NY this Friday, Saturday and Sunday (staying at the West Branch Angler Resort). The fishing reports have been somewhat positive. I've read as many publications and articles that I can get my hands on.

Anyone have any area knowledge/words of wisdom that might enhance our efforts? Unfortunately, hiring a guide is out of the equation for this trip. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Michael
Old 08-16-2010, 06:44 PM

jager is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advice for novices fishing the Delaware this weekend?

I'm not familiar with the Delaware or Battenkill (other than by reputation - the latter especially), but if they're anything like the streams down here in Virginia you'll want some terrestrials with you this time of year.

Beyond that, I hope you and Xavier have had a chance to do some warm water fishing for bass and bluegills, as a few of the guys recommended in the other thread. Even if it's with a spincast rod and a bobber. I'd worry about a 10-year-old losing interest if he doesn't see a little success. Fly fishing is the toughest tackle to master. And trout are a lot harder than most other species of fish. Combining the two from the get-go is certainly a challenge.

But I'm sure I'm not alone in admiring your efforts and your passion. I love reading your threads and we're all rooting for you.

blog: http://jeffreyhughes.net/wordpress/
Old 08-16-2010, 07:32 PM

Jim M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmxf View Post
Hey all,

The Battenkill (our "local" trout stream) has shut down my son and I. Three attempts. Three weeks. No fish.

So, we've decided to take a weekend trip to the West Branch, Delaware. We'll be in Hancock, NY this Friday, Saturday and Sunday (staying at the West Branch Angler Resort). The fishing reports have been somewhat positive. I've read as many publications and articles that I can get my hands on.

Anyone have any area knowledge/words of wisdom that might enhance our efforts? Unfortunately, hiring a guide is out of the equation for this trip. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Michael
I would think you want to be way above Hancock, the temps are pretty high down there. Between Deposit and Hale Eddy and below the West Branch Angler along the NY-Penn border should be quite a bit colder and more productive (unless you are gunning for smallies).

You may see some sulfurs and small BWOs. I would have some caddis and small stone flies as well.

West Branch should be able to give you the latest hatch reports when you get there. Are you having them guide you?? It may be worth it if you have never been there just to find the access points.

Tight lines - Jim M
Old 08-16-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jager View Post
I'm not familiar with the Delaware or Battenkill (other than by reputation - the latter especially), but if they're anything like the streams down here in Virginia you'll want some terrestrials with you this time of year.

Beyond that, I hope you and Xavier have had a chance to do some warm water fishing for bass and bluegills, as a few of the guys recommended in the other thread. Even if it's with a spincast rod and a bobber. I'd worry about a 10-year-old losing interest if he doesn't see a little success. Fly fishing is the toughest tackle to master. And trout are a lot harder than most other species of fish. Combining the two from the get-go is certainly a challenge.

But I'm sure I'm not alone in admiring your efforts and your passion. I love reading your threads and we're all rooting for you.
Hey Jager,

You guys are providing all the support we need. We shall prevail. Xavier has a wonderful attitude and he'll catch his first trout in the next few weeks. He'll will it to happen. He's also had the opportunity to bait fish (oh, the humanity!) over the past few weeks and he's caught a number of fish using that heinous, vile and barbaric method.

Where are you in Northern VA? I used to spend summers in Richmond, Ashland and Mechanicsville. Great spot to be in.

Be Well,
Michael

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
I would think you want to be way above Hancock, the temps are pretty high down there. Between Deposit and Hale Eddy and below the West Branch Angler along the NY-Penn border should be quite a bit colder and more productive (unless you are gunning for smallies).

You may see some sulfurs and small BWOs. I would have some caddis and small stone flies as well.

West Branch should be able to give you the latest hatch reports when you get there. Are you having them guide you?? It may be worth it if you have never been there just to find the access points.

Tight lines - Jim M
Hey, Jim -

Thanks for the guidance. Appreciated. We're staying outside of Hancock. We'll go wherever necessary to get to the best fishing. We aren't hiring a guide for this trip we're going up to the Adirondacks in two weeks and I hired Vince Wilcox (www.wileysflies.com) to guide us up there I can't spend that kind of money this weekend on the Delaware. Right now, I'm in "scour" mode. Doing everything I can to learn about the area. Trying to align the stars. Endeavoring to make sure it all works for Xavier.

Be Well, Jim.

Michael
Old 08-17-2010, 03:50 AM

flores81 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmxf View Post
Hey Jager,

You guys are providing all the support we need. We shall prevail. Xavier has a wonderful attitude and he'll catch his first trout in the next few weeks. He'll will it to happen. He's also had the opportunity to bait fish (oh, the humanity!) over the past few weeks and he's caught a number of fish using that heinous, vile and barbaric method.

Where are you in Northern VA? I used to spend summers in Richmond, Ashland and Mechanicsville. Great spot to be in.

Be Well,
Michael

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Hey, Jim -

Thanks for the guidance. Appreciated. We're staying outside of Hancock. We'll go wherever necessary to get to the best fishing. We aren't hiring a guide for this trip we're going up to the Adirondacks in two weeks and I hired Vince Wilcox (www.wileysflies.com) to guide us up there I can't spend that kind of money this weekend on the Delaware. Right now, I'm in "scour" mode. Doing everything I can to learn about the area. Trying to align the stars. Endeavoring to make sure it all works for Xavier.

Be Well, Jim.

Michael
hope u have a nice trip
Old 08-17-2010, 07:08 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Hard area to fish with a 10 year old. hard for a person who has fished for years. The trout on the WB. can be finicky now and the flows are a little on the high side. should see Isonychia's now there. A wild brookie stream would be a better place to take him for his first trout.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 08-17-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
Hard area to fish with a 10 year old. hard for a person who has fished for years. The trout on the WB. can be finicky now and the flows are a little on the high side. should see Isonychia's now there. A wild brookie stream would be a better place to take him for his first trout.
Hi Sandfly -

Thanks very much for the guidance. We're there solely to fish and will do so with as much intelligence and vigor that we can muster. If the WB proves too difficult, we can certainly venture to any of the area's wild brookie streams or the Main Stem. Any wild brookie stream suggestions?

Cheers!
Michael