The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 06:10 PM

jamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura about
Default A Couple Of C&R Technique Questions

I got these two questions from magazine articles I read or videos I watched:
  1. When landing a fish to be released, it should be landed in less than 1 minute per pound of weight. (It was a salmon article and I don't know how this applies to other species.) Do you agree with this?
  2. When releasing a fish, you should gently hold it under water until it's strong enough to swim away on it's own. Do you agree with this statement?

As always, thanks in advance.

Jamie.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:27 PM
bigredfly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Couple Of C&R Technique Questions

Can't really comment on the first post since i haven't fished for salmon, but i would say its difficult to just land the fish depending on poundage because every fish fights different no matter what its weight. You also cant accurately guess the weight of the fish on the line unless you're just amazing. So theres my answer to the first question unless i missed it completely hah.

To the Second, I would agree completely. Thats how I release all of my fish. When i was young i was told to slide the fish back and forth in the water to try and i suppose force water through its gills, but thinking about it points out that the fish will swim away when its strong enough no matter how much water you force-feed down its gullet.

-Ben
Old 08-16-2010, 08:10 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I have never heard about that first one, but you are supposed to hold the fish submerged and facing upstream until it swims away on it's own.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 08-17-2010, 07:43 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

The thing I see happen most frequently in fresh water fishing on utube videos is that the anglers rarely dip their hands into the water before touching the fish, and also squeeze them too hard when removing the hook.

The latter looks to be a result of not just ignorance but of horsing the fish in too quickly before they are "done", not a result of playing them too long.

I was taking a video of a buddy of mine, a guide in S Florida for the past 32 years, of one of his customers fighting a small tarpon when the customer wanted my buddy to land his fish. Apple merely replied, "he's not done yet."

Fighting a thrashing fish too soon trying to control them and remove the hook can be worse on them than taking a little more time till they have calmed down some.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-17-2010, 08:58 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Number two I agree with.
Number one is too simplistic an explanation of playing a fish to be released. For one thing, a fish always looks smaller to me while it's in the water then it actually is. There are other factors like, water temperature that come into play while bringing a fish to net. It has been my experience that a fish will let you know when it is ready to give up the fight. Then bring him in quickly, handle him with loving care [don't squeeze, wet your hands, keep in the water as much as possible] then revive the fish by holding him facing upstream, hold him under the belly with one hand and by the tail with the other until the fish swims out of your gentle grip.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:38 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Something to think about...

When you take a fish out of the water, hold your breath
When you can't hold it much longer, realize what the fish is experiencing
Old 08-17-2010, 10:04 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post

Very nicely said. Sometimes when I am having trouble getting a hook out of a fish, I'll stop and dip the fish back in the water for a few seconds to let him get his "breath." I feel kinda goofy doing it sometimes, but it's for the best of the fish.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 08-17-2010, 10:14 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

1. I've seen the very experienced fishers do it the way that they feel creates the least stress on the fish. One of the guys that I fish with gets them in quickly. The other (who has fished for close to eighty years) lets them fight until tired so that they're not trying to jump around while he removes the hook. My last two jumped out of my hand as soon as the hook was out.
2. I always get my hand wet before handling the fish. Something that I learned from being on this forum. When I lean down to get my hand wet I don't care if the fish gets off because that's what I'm trying to do anyway.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:06 PM

OwenRiverLodge will become famous soon enoughOwenRiverLodge will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post

Love this analogy !

C&R is all about the fish swimming away to be caught another day.
There is no point practising C&R if the fish has been improperly handled - as it will die !

So...
Please make sure your hands are wet before you touch the fish
Invest in a pair of forceps - so you can get your fly out of the fish quickly
Don't hold it out of the water for more than a couple of seconds - take your photo and put the fish back in the water
When picking up the fish hold it under its belly & by the tail
When releasing face the trout upstream in a gentle current - you will be able to tell when the fish is ready to go
Enjoy !!

Felix
Murchison
South Island, New Zealand
http://www.OwenRiverLodge.co.nz

http://www.facebook.com/OwenRiverLodge