The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2017, 07:27 PM

nimblybimbly85 will become famous soon enough
Default Two Dry setup

What's your favorite 2 dry fly rig?

I'm thinking of trying a med-large Royal Wulf with a smaller Parachute Adams dropped behind.

Anyone try this combo?
Old 05-17-2017, 07:53 PM

willyf is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Two Dry setup

In June in Michigan a Yellow-bellied Mattress Thrasher with a Dusty Bunny behind it. For those who don't know, that's a medium sized stonefly with an isonychia emerged behind it.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:51 PM

old timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to all

I only do that when i'm fishing a dry so small or hard to see from it's color. Like a midge. I'm really only fishing the midge, so the bigger fly can be anything as long as it's easy to see and floats well.

I know that wasn't the question, but I was just giving another option to use two dries.
nimblybimbly85 likes this.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:02 PM

nimblybimbly85 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
I only do that when i'm fishing a dry so small or hard to see from it's color. Like a midge. I'm really only fishing the midge, so the bigger fly can be anything as long as it's easy to see and floats well.

I know that wasn't the question, but I was just giving another option to use two dries.

What length of tippet between the two flies?
Old 05-17-2017, 09:04 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Your combo would be a good searching rig. But I'd probably just go with one or the other and fish that fly when searching. If it doesn't produce any looks or takes, try something else.

My favorite tandem rig has to do with what is happening on the river. I do at times fish two dry flies or dry-ish flies when fish are rising and I'm having a hard time with the right pattern or seeing the right pattern. Generally the first fly is something I can see but natural -- an elk hair caddis or traditional mayfly, maybe a Wulff like you mention but only in an appropriate size, sometimes a Stimulator works. The "dropper" or trailer fly tries to match what I think the fish are taking and I usually start with a wet or damp fly. Pheasant tail and partridge soft hackle covers a lot of mayflies, a peacock and partridge for caddis. Otherwise, as noted, I've used the lead fly as an indicator - say a stimulator with a trico spinner about 8 inches behind.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:06 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant future

If there is a hatch going off, I try to match the hatch to certain degree. Basic color and size. Then, I like to trail a wet fly or emerger (not a weighted beadhead) that sinks slowly that also mimics the nymph stage of same fly. Many times during decent hatches, my hook-up rate per each fly is about the same 50%. These types of days have been the cause of some great fly fishing memories.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Blog: http://furledleader.blogspot.com/
Old 05-17-2017, 09:19 PM

old timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblybimbly85 View Post
What length of tippet between the two flies?

About 16"-18"
Old 05-17-2017, 09:38 PM

flytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant future

ive never fished 2x dry flies. 1 is enough.

ft09

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
~Zane Grey
Old 05-17-2017, 10:11 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant future

What length between flys....? We have many guides across the states that use our leaders, but there are a few that guide on the Snake river here in Idaho that use our leaders for dry fly droppers like I have never tried before I heard of it.

Ed Emory, head guide on the S. Fork of the Snake. He uses a 50" long 7-8 weight dry fly leader on a 5 wt rod. He then uses heavy tippet 2x or 3x to a large dry fly (BIG ATTRACTOR). Off of the dry, he will use crazy long lengths of tippet to a heavy dropper. 4'-8' length of tippet.

He will have his clients cast above a deep hole, put a few mends in the line to keep the large dry fly in the zone and give the dropper time to sink. This is one reason he uses a thread furled leader, you can mend your fly line so well (because of surface tension) without disrupting the fly.

He says 75% of fish take the nymph, but the takes on the dry are what the clients are after.

This system works well in drift boats, but would not be good from shore as the length of tippet is so long.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Blog: http://furledleader.blogspot.com/
Old 05-17-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutThroat Leaders View Post
What length between flys....? We have many guides across the states that use our leaders, but there are a few that guide on the Snake river here in Idaho that use our leaders for dry fly droppers like I have never tried before I heard of it.

Ed Emory, head guide on the S. Fork of the Snake. He uses a 50" long 7-8 weight dry fly leader on a 5 wt rod. He then uses heavy tippet 2x or 3x to a large dry fly (BIG ATTRACTOR). Off of the dry, he will use crazy long lengths of tippet to a heavy dropper. 4'-8' length of tippet.

He will have his clients cast above a deep hole, put a few mends in the line to keep the large dry fly in the zone and give the dropper time to sink. This is one reason he uses a thread furled leader, you can mend your fly line so well (because of surface tension) without disrupting the fly.

He says 75% of fish take the nymph, but the takes on the dry are what the clients are after.

This system works well in drift boats, but would not be good from shore as the length of tippet is so long.

He's not dropping a nymph. He's using two floating dry flies.