The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 11:10 AM

skey000 is on a distinguished road
Default Tying your own leaders

I was thinking about tying my own leaders for economic and versatility reasons.

The question I have is when you tie your own should you use different types of tippet material for the different sections?

I guess what I mean is can I use something like Orvis super strong tippet for the whole leader or should I get another type of tippet material for the butt and possible taper sections? Something that is a bit stiffer.

If so what materials do you suggest?

Please keep in mind I fish mainly for bass so I tend to use larger flies than trout anglers.

Thanks in advance for your responses
Jeremy
Old 04-17-2008, 11:22 AM

sulfernut is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tying your own leaders

Just an opinion here....Do yourself a favor,and use Maxima Chameleon material. I have tried alot of other brands,and have found this to have all the right stuff!! Most desireable is it's lack of "memory"...that is to say,any coils or curls it gets,can normally be easily removed by pulling the stuff between your hands. You can use any combination of materials you desire. I have had good luck building the entire leader out of Chameleon,but in the field add tippert to it from whatever spools I am currently carrying (usually Orvis SS)
Sulfernut
Old 04-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I splurged and bought the Frog Hair Kit. Pricie, but only initial cost. I bought it several years ago and still have a lot of it left. The recipe book that comes with it is awesome and I have found some tapers in there I really like.
As far as mix and match material, I don't see where there would be a problem as long as you stay close on weight and diameter. All companies have a little different scale.
I make a lot of my Stillwater out of Mirage 0X then P-Line Fluorocarbon from there down. The Mirage is stiffer so a good but section. I don't think you have to make the whole leader out of Fluoro, but, that is all I buy.
There are a lot of people that swear by Maxima. To the point I might just try it when the P-Line is gone.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:06 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been tying my own leaders for about 5 years. I bought an Orvis kit, and
just add individual spools when required. The kit was $40, and covered .021
through 5X.

If you're fishing for bass, you can probably get by on 4-6 spools, rather than
a whole kit. I don't know how much home-tied leaders work out to cost, but
it's been CHEAP! Probably in the range of 15 cents......
Old 04-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

On this chart I have, for a proffesional like Whitlock it goes like this:

36" of .021
24" of .020
18" of .019
4" of .018
4" of .016
4" of .014
12" of .012
12" of .011

That is for a 10.5' Bass leader. As you can see, some get real technical.
For a standard BASS 8' leader it goes like this:

29" of .018
24" of .014
10" of .013 20lb
19" of .012
14" of .011 = 0X

It can be a science for sure.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:10 PM

flyman1228 is on a distinguished road

A question from a new member to this forum. . . . I too have Maxima Chameleon leader material. I wonder if the fish cannot spot the line due to it's dark color. Are you supposed to end the leader in a transparent flurocarbon tippet material? using the Maxima only to build the tapered leader?? an answer would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi skey000,

If I was making my own leaders I would want the tippet to be fluro.

Frank
Old 04-18-2008, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

When using 'hand tied leaders' in Bass waters with heavy cover or vegetation, Does junk building up on the different knots become a problem?

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 04-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
When using 'hand tied leaders' in Bass waters with heavy cover or vegetation, Does junk building up on the different knots become a problem?
Good question John. They darn sure will pick up moss or any thing floating on the water. That is why I use knotless tapered leaders.

Frank
Old 04-18-2008, 12:39 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I was fishing a cove a couple days ago, and there was a LOT of gunk on top
of the water, and just below it. My leader was a 6 segment 9' 4X, and the
only goop that accumalated was on the fly itself. I tie my leaders with
blood knots for the first few sections, and then use a surgeon's knot for the
final few segments. Occassionally I'll see dirt in the knot, but it's stuff
that sticks between the wraps, not weeds or anything like that. The trick is
to clip the tag ends so they're flush with the knots, and to tie the knots
cleanly. Done properly, they become little more than tiny bumps on the leader.

Wednesday's victim of a hand-tied leader :
Click the image to open in full size.
P.S. Judge the size of the fish by my fingers, not the paddle blade. I use a huge beavertail paddle when canoeing.
P.P.S. LOL....Know that I think about, the leader was the only thing that was covered in gunk on that trip. There
was all sort of stuff clinging to my canoe, waders, etc....