The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 01:04 PM

geist262 is on a distinguished road
Default Rookie gear advice

Hi guys, I am new to fly fishing and I was wondering what type of setup to get. I plan on fishing for trout in rivers. I live in northeastern pa. I will probably practice catching some panfish before I try for trout. I figure a 5wt rod would be good, but I don't know what type(brand to buy) The only shop near me can hook me up with a 9ft 5wt orvis clearwater 2 and battenkill reel for $220.00. They only carry orvis, nothing else. I plan on spending around 200 ish or so. I did pick up the ll bean ultimate fly fishing book. Also, what action do I need? Any input would be great. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2008, 02:10 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rookie gear advice

That sounds like a good package. Get a medium action rod: 7.5 in Orvis
terms. A quality line is very important as well....REAL IMPORTANT. Cortland
444, SA Mastery Trout, and Rio Classic are all fine. Cortland would be the
least expensive.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi geist262,

Take a look at the recommended rods and outfits in this FAQ Thread. Do a search on Orvis Clearwater and see what comes up.

Frank
Old 04-18-2008, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. What length rod should I be looking at?
Old 04-18-2008, 06:14 PM

Deanona is on a distinguished road

For rivers I like a 9 ft or longer rod myself.I also recommend a Double taper line, as opposed to a Weight forward, as the belly of a Double taper is easier IMO for a beginner to cast well.Plus it has the added bonus of being turned over, thereby doubling your line life(if it doesnt fall apart first that is )
Hope this helps and good luck,
Ster
Old 04-20-2008, 02:53 PM

dgd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by geist262 View Post
Hi guys, I am new to fly fishing and I was wondering what type of setup to get. I plan on fishing for trout in rivers. I live in northeastern pa. I will probably practice catching some panfish before I try for trout. I figure a 5wt rod would be good, but I don't know what type(brand to buy) The only shop near me can hook me up with a 9ft 5wt orvis clearwater 2 and battenkill reel for $220.00. They only carry orvis, nothing else. I plan on spending around 200 ish or so. I did pick up the ll bean ultimate fly fishing book. Also, what action do I need? Any input would be great. Thanks!
That is not a "hook up". First of all, if your local fly shop better be including a free spool. Second what they are charging is just standard retail. The BK for $89 with a spare spool is a smoking hot deal (end the end of this month) so grab that, but look around for a rod that you like.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:52 PM

Well, I had a reel, Orvis clearwater with a cheap 30 dollar rod, with 444 on it. I bought this about 2 years ago. I just didn't have the time to learn at the time, so it sat there. Anyway, I went to the shop and like I mentioned above that he could get me the clearwater 2 and battenkill. The other shop that I bought the clearwater from closed down. Anyway, he said I should get a new reel because the clearwater is cheap. I was going to do it, but I changed my mind after reading the forums. I went up to gander MT, which I don't like going to, and figured I would just see what they had. I ended up buying a St. Croix Reign 9ft 5wt 4pc and put my clearwater reel on that rod. Turns out, I have a really nice shop about 45 minutes from me. I wish I saw that sooner. Anyway, I am now going to start practicing in the yard. Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it. BTW, I would gather this reel is good enough for a beginner right? From what I understand the most important part is the line, then rod, then reel.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi geist262,

Your setup will be fine to learn with. The first thing you will have to do is stretch your fly line to get the curls out of it. After you get more experience you can buy a better reel that meets your needs.

Frank
Old 04-27-2008, 04:20 PM

pafly is on a distinguished road

Hello, I bought the Orvis Clearwater 4 wt, 8.5 model 864-2 a couple of years back. I like it and find it to be an all around good rod.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:50 PM

welcome to the boards pafly