The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 06:48 PM

nimblybimbly85 will become famous soon enough
Default 6wt for general pupose fly fishing

Anyone use a 6wt. as their primary all purpose fly rod?

I sent my 5wt. for a warranty service and the company asked if I'd like a new 6wt. instead so I said sure instead of waiting a full month.

Also, I only have 5wt. floating line; how will that perform on the new 6wt. rod? I'm thinking 5wt. line will land softer on the water for dry flies..will the 6wt rod handle streamers better than the 5wt. rod with 5wt. line if I don't buy 6wt line?

If I do buy new 6wt. line, will it fit on a 4/5wt. reel?
Old 05-18-2017, 07:03 PM

fenix84 is a jewel in the roughfenix84 is a jewel in the roughfenix84 is a jewel in the roughfenix84 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 6wt for general pupose fly fishing

The whole line weight thing really doesn't mean much anymore. A lots of people that have fast action rods go a line wt higher to help load the rod.

Lines today are even marketed to be heavier. For instance the Rio Grand is actually a line weight heavier. So a 5wt Rio Grand line actually has the line weight of a 6wt line. There are tons of lines out marketed this way, its pretty common to go heavier.

Going lighter is less common but there really is no problem with it, it will make a lighter presentation and it might even suite your casting style better, who knows. If you are finding the rod isn't loading as well as you'd like just add in a haul, its said to add 60 grains to the rod load (heard this from a very knowledgeable rod builder).

Yes the 6wt line will be better for streamers, more umph especially when its windy. Being only a rod weight higher it wont make too much of a difference but it will make a difference.

The 6wt line will work on your 5wt reel, the line is just marginally thicker in sections. Worst case scenario you can just remove some backing.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:16 PM

Thanks a lot!
Old 05-18-2017, 08:45 PM

gutterpunk is a jewel in the roughgutterpunk is a jewel in the roughgutterpunk is a jewel in the roughgutterpunk is a jewel in the rough

What's the rod? And the line?

In general, a fast rod doesn't like being overlined, and while you can underline your 6 wt, it might not perform as well as it should--but it depends on the rod and line.

I recommend getting a 6 wt line if you can. Definitely better for streamers.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterpunk View Post
What's the rod? And the line?

In general, a fast rod doesn't like being overlined, and while you can underline your 6 wt, it might not perform as well as it should--but it depends on the rod and line.

I recommend getting a 6 wt line if you can. Definitely better for streamers.

It's a St. Croix (their customer service and warranty are great btw) Avid which is a medium-slow action rod. I will probably go ahead and buy 6wt line...I was just concerned about dry fly presentation with it.

eventually i'll spend the money on a second rod designated for streamers only, probably a 7wt fast action.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:48 AM

Flyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant future

It's what I use. It's worked for everything in the warmwater species from panfish up to huge carp, with an occasional trout thrown in. I've never got a pike or musky with it.

I'm considering a new rod as this one is getting old, and it will in all likelihood be a six weight.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:25 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblybimbly85 View Post
I will probably go ahead and buy 6wt line...I was just concerned about dry fly presentation with it.
The line itself should not adversely affect your presentation. A long, proper leader and nice cast is the important part.
mike_r likes this.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:36 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

I fish a 6-weight with dry flies often, especially when distance and wind are factors. In general though, a #5 is preferable. My recommendation to you, as St. Croix had treated you so well, is buy a new larger reels and line to match your new rod and, later, select a new 5-weight rod to go with your existing line and reel. Oh, and proper matching of line to rod is important, ask St. Croix which line they suggest for your new rod.
rockriver likes this.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:35 AM

old timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to all

The Avid is a med action. Not med-slow. It will still depend on what line you have if a 5wt will work well.

You mentioned streamers, but if you also do some close fishing the 5wt might not load the rod as it should be.

So, tell us what line you have?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
The Avid is a med action. Not med-slow. It will still depend on what line you have if a 5wt will work well.

You mentioned streamers, but if you also do some close fishing the 5wt might not load the rod as it should be.

So, tell us what line you have?

That's true the St Croix website lists it as moderate action.

I have Rio gold 5wt. I might as well buy 6wt and set it up right.

Anyone use Galvan reels? I'm looking for an affordable USA made reel. I bought the St Croix rod soley because it's USA made and affordable and it turned out to be good enough for me.