The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2008, 10:04 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road
Default Using split shot...

Newbie question re. split shot.
Are the split shot used in fly fishing considered removeable or do you just remove that section of tippit? I'm not thinking about reusing them but seems once their on, their in that position to stay.
In the past I've always used the shot with the tabs so you can pinch them back open.
Thanks for the enlightment.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:07 AM

trixie is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to trixie
Default Re: Using split shot...

There is a gadget they make, that I want to get, that is used for that. Go with a bead variation of the fly, but if you dont need the bead, go with a non bead.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:52 AM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

I got one of those gadgets Trixie's talking about. It sure saves your nails and teeth! I'm playing around with hanging my splitshot on an inline dropper; much like when you fish multiple wet flies. If you tie an overhand knot on the end of the dropper it should keep the shot in place. I feel like when I remove the shot off of my inline tippit, that I'm damaging or weakening the tippet.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I like the Dinsmore brand shot with the little divot on the point where the halves of the shot come together. It takes a bit of coordination, but you can put the tip of your hemostats into that and open them up to open up the shot. Its a bit tricky, but they're bound to hang us less than the "reuseable" shot with the tabs sticking off the back.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:33 PM

It's the Dinsmores that I have. I was practicing with the BB size and that was when I decided to ask here. Can't imagine being able to do anything with the 4 or 6 size.
So other wise if you want to make a change, just cut off the tippit above the shot and rerig?
Thanks...
Old 04-19-2008, 08:28 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDog View Post
It's the Dinsmores that I have. I was practicing with the BB size and that was when I decided to ask here. Can't imagine being able to do anything with the 4 or 6 size.
So other wise if you want to make a change, just cut off the tippit above the shot and rerig?
Thanks...
An old, dull pair of nippers works great when it comes to opening split shot. Insert one blade into the split shot's seam and press. A new, sharp pair will also work, but you run a greater risk of damanging the tippet.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:37 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Last year i started using sink putty and like it. I tried a couple of brands and found the Orvis Tungston Sink Putty to work the best for me. It doesn't skunk up your leader, is easily removable, is reusable and doesn't hang up as much as spit shot. It's flexible and easily molded into streamlined shapes. You can check it out here: http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c...subcat_id=6022
Old 04-20-2008, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I usually just pry them open with a finger nail or my forceps.

On the type of split shot with the wings, Do any of you notice any line twist from the current causing them to spin?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-20-2008, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the ideas.
Think I'll get me a cheap pair of nippers.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:28 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
Last year i started using sink putty and like it. I tried a couple of brands and found the Orvis Tungston Sink Putty to work the best for me. It doesn't skunk up your leader, is easily removable, is reusable and doesn't hang up as much as spit shot. It's flexible and easily molded into streamlined shapes. You can check it out here: http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c...subcat_id=6022
I usually can pry them off with my fingernails or a pair of hemostats I picked up a long time ago that have a heavy needle coming out of one jaw that goes into a hole in the other jaw.

Joe D
I've been using the tungston putty for years. It is great to fine tune the weight to get the fly just ticking along the bottom. It's infinitly adjustable (tear off a little) & roll a "noodle" over the tippet & your ready to go. Sometimes when fishing beadheads you only need a little more weight & the putty fills the bill.