The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 05:31 PM

gordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura about
Default Along the topic of HATS ... Magnifiers ?

How do all ...

Being a "tad" over 60 .. the ol' eyeballs don't work as they used too ... AND very new to the sport ... sure is addictive, huh?

Are the hat style clip on Magnifiers worth the effort / money or do you have a better idea .. solution?

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2010, 05:57 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Along the topic of HATS ... Magnifiers ?

I have a pair of the Flip-Focals that clip onto the brim your hat.
I find it difficult to focus through magnifiers that are that far from my eyes. Plus your hat has to be positioned 'just so" and they tend to get a little smudged up from the 'flipping'

On the other hand, the other alternative for me is a pair of 'cheater' reading glasses. And juggling the three pairs of glasses, (bifocals, sunglasses, and the cheaters) is even worse. Not to mention that you look real silly with three pair of glasses on at the same time.

So I don't really have a good answer. I don't think that there is one
Old 08-18-2010, 06:10 PM

trick has a spectacular aura abouttrick has a spectacular aura about

I just got some of the flip focals, and they help me alot. I think I could thread the smallest fly with these, but I do wish they flipped down farther. Put your cap on and look up at the edge of the brim, thats pretty much how your going to be looking using them. Would also depend on how low your brim is. Better than not being able to tie a fly on. I ordered mine from Orvis.

Matt
Old 08-18-2010, 06:22 PM

Jim M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon in nc View Post
How do all ...

Being a "tad" over 60 .. the ol' eyeballs don't work as they used too ... AND very new to the sport ... sure is addictive, huh?

Are the hat style clip on Magnifiers worth the effort / money or do you have a better idea .. solution?

Thanks!
I have a pair from LL Bean, I could not ties a small fly on without them. The trick for me was learning how far away to hold things. A must have for me, even with prescription polaroids.

Jim M
Old 08-18-2010, 07:04 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

I'm totally dependent on mine. My fishing sunglasses are for distance so the flip focal is the perfect answer to not have two pair of glasses or bi-focal sunglasses. Took awhile to get used to them but I like them now. I don't fumble around tying knots nearly as much.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:07 PM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough

What part of NC are you from?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:26 PM

gordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzenangler View Post
What part of NC are you from?
Hiding out in the "wilds" of Greensboro, NC
Not far from the corner of Walk and Don't Walk ... have some nice ponds and lakes close by though.
Was born in Hickory .. had a brother that lived in Hudson .. sorta from your neck of the woods way back when. Grew up in Statesville from age 2 till I went in the Navy.
Shame I waited all these years to get interested in fly fishing / fly tying .. ~sigh~
Old 08-18-2010, 11:07 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I have a pair of the Flip-Focals that clip onto the brim your hat.
I find it difficult to focus through magnifiers that are that far from my eyes. Plus your hat has to be positioned 'just so" and they tend to get a little smudged up from the 'flipping'

I agree.

I have them and have the same problems, but they do help a bit.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have a pair of the flip style and the last few years I have been using a pair of cheaters one or two sizes up from what I comfortable can read with, that really helps me with threading the smaller flies, but as others have stated it is a PITA changing out from the sunglasses to the cheaters and back to the sun glasses. Getting old is a total pain!

Larry
Old 08-19-2010, 02:09 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

I use the "Hat Eyes" brand of magnifiers that clip onto your hat brim. The clip and pivot arms are made of non-rusting metal, and the dual lens can be replaced if it becomes too scratched or broken. Nice thing is you can get them in various magnification powers, so you can find the level of magnification you need to see the size flies you regularly work with.

http://www.mageyes.com/hateyes.htm