The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2008, 09:02 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default custom built 7wt matrix for steelhead

had this steelie rod built for me by steve from midwest custom flyrods. its a 9ft 7wt black matrix with aw-13 reel seat and fighting butt. it will have the orvis mid arbor battenkill titanium reel on it and some steelhead mastery line. here is some pix of the custom rod in progress! its not here yet but this is my rod with a pleugler titanium reel on it to show me what the titanium will look like. matches nicely he is taking pix as he builds it. looks great so far. will also have my name by the hook keep. sweet! what ya guys think? should have it in 7 to 10 days!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mycustom1.jpg (25.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg mycustom3.jpg (31.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg gallery480bcff140be2.jpg (44.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg mycustom2.jpg (32.3 KB, 7 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:00 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: custom built 7wt matrix for steelhead

heres a update!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg customrod1.jpg (23.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg custom rod2.jpg (21.7 KB, 8 views)

Old 07-20-2008, 01:54 AM

socalsalt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
had this steelie rod built for me by steve from midwest custom flyrods. its a 9ft 7wt black matrix with aw-13 reel seat and fighting butt. it will have the orvis mid arbor battenkill titanium reel on it and some steelhead mastery line. here is some pix of the custom rod in progress! its not here yet but this is my rod with a pleugler titanium reel on it to show me what the titanium will look like. matches nicely he is taking pix as he builds it. looks great so far. will also have my name by the hook keep. sweet! what ya guys think? should have it in 7 to 10 days!
Hi George. The important thing is not the reel seat, you really really really need to know what blank he is using. Is he using a scientific anglers $30 blank or a $300 Sage Z axis blank? The blank is what makes the difference! Ok, I googled it, and it looks like it is a imported (korean/chinese) blank that retails for around $63. (janns netcraft) As a comparison, the tfo ticr x is a good low priced steelhead rod, and you can buy the blank for about $110. The ticr x flyrod in a nice blue color, in a 9 foot 7 weight costs $250 for the complete rod. The aw-13 reel seat retails for about $23. The warranty costs $25, and if you are local to them and bring the rod to them it is free. They will just give you a free rod. If you have a rod breakage that is not easily fixable they will send you a brand new rod. I have heard of people who have sent their check in with a note asking for a different size weight rod and getting it, for instance they have a 5 weight but decide they want a 4 weight so TFO sends them a 4 weight.

When buying a rod, some things you want to know are, what kind of graphite is used? Is it im6? Im7? Im8? I think they are up to im9 by now. Also, the more expensive rods use different graphites in different sections to enhance castability. These are called hybrids. Lastly, never ever buy a rod without test casting it.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:41 PM

it was a american tackle matrix blank. you can find my finished product in another post. it works great and casts like a champ. it is sensative also cause I could actually feel a gill take my clouser once on the drop and steve is a great guy and quality rod builder. he is a moderator in my great lakes forum. I have used this rod so far for some gills and bass but its my steelies rod. just no steel was around when i could get it out.