The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 08:39 AM

HTiger is on a distinguished road
Default New member, general perplexions

Greetings, all. I'm thrilled to have found this forum.

I live well south of US trout streams and, thus, my fly fishing (and learning) is erratic at best. I went to the only stream I know of in Alabama yesterday--the closest one to me, a tailwater 2 1/2 hours up the Interstate--to try once again to catch a trout where I have enjoyed zero luck. And where I have likely exhibited even less skill.

From yesterdays experience and from some nosing around the 'net several unrelated questions have arisen I hope some of you can take the time to help me understand.

1. When fishing with a nymph, attractor and strike indicator (as the local shop suggested), how should that rig be set up? I put the strike indicator at the junction of the leader and tippet...tied the attractor at the end of the tippet...then tied a foot-long piece of tippet to the attractor's hook bend...and tied the nymph to the end of that tippet. Got one strike; no catches. Used the flies we bought at the shop.

2. Where on the 'net, or what books, can help me learn more about presentation?

3. Do the neoprene booties of waders wear out or dry-rot over time? I have a pair of Hodgemans, about ten years old, that seemed really cold yesterday. Changing out of them at the end of the day I noticed my socks were wet. No holes in the waders; I'm guessing the neoprene leaked(?). Can it be waterproofed again?

4. I keep reading little blurbs on the 'net about felt bottom wading boots. Apparantly you can't use them in Maryland. Ok, so what's wrong with felt now?

Many thanks in advance for any advice. I really love fly fishing. Or in my case, standing in beautiful streams throwing line around.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:13 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New member, general perplexions

Welcome to NAFF! I'll tackle several of your questions, but will have to leave the neoprene and boot questions for someone else.

Was the attractor fly a dry fly? If so, why did the shop recommend also using a strike indicator - you can use the dry fly/attractor as your strike indicator. Otherwise, there are a variety of ways to set up dropper flies. You got a strike, so maybe you just needed a different set of flies to get a trout to actually take one of them?

Also, since you are in Alabama, you probably have a good smallmouth fishery near you - they are a blast on a fly rod!

Books that have been really helpful for me:
Fishing Tandem Flies by Charlie Meck (This book specifically addresses how to set up multiple flies. It also discusses strategies for using them.)

Nymph-Fishing Rivers & Streams by Rick Hafele (talks about how to choose fly patterns and strategies for nymph fishing. It also comes with a DVD to demonstrate the topics in the book.)

Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout by Bob Linsenman and Kelly Galloup (not about nymphs, but a great book for strategy - besides, streamers are fun to fish)

FLy-fishing for Smallmouth in Rivers and Streams by Bob Clouser (ok, not for trout, but there is no reason to limit your fly fishing to trout. Smallmouth are feisty creatures. For fun catching fish, I prefer going after smallmouth. I fish for trout during the winter and simply b/c it is more challenging to catch them.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTiger View Post
Greetings, all. I'm thrilled to have found this forum.

I live well south of US trout streams and, thus, my fly fishing (and learning) is erratic at best. I went to the only stream I know of in Alabama yesterday--the closest one to me, a tailwater 2 1/2 hours up the Interstate--to try once again to catch a trout where I have enjoyed zero luck. And where I have likely exhibited even less skill.

From yesterdays experience and from some nosing around the 'net several unrelated questions have arisen I hope some of you can take the time to help me understand.

1. When fishing with a nymph, attractor and strike indicator (as the local shop suggested), how should that rig be set up? I put the strike indicator at the junction of the leader and tippet...tied the attractor at the end of the tippet...then tied a foot-long piece of tippet to the attractor's hook bend...and tied the nymph to the end of that tippet. Got one strike; no catches. Used the flies we bought at the shop.

2. Where on the 'net, or what books, can help me learn more about presentation?

3. Do the neoprene booties of waders wear out or dry-rot over time? I have a pair of Hodgemans, about ten years old, that seemed really cold yesterday. Changing out of them at the end of the day I noticed my socks were wet. No holes in the waders; I'm guessing the neoprene leaked(?). Can it be waterproofed again?

4. I keep reading little blurbs on the 'net about felt bottom wading boots. Apparantly you can't use them in Maryland. Ok, so what's wrong with felt now?

Many thanks in advance for any advice. I really love fly fishing. Or in my case, standing in beautiful streams throwing line around.

Hi HTiger, and welcome to the forum also.

Generally as a 'rule of thumb' when fishing Nymphs with an indicator, you want your indicator distance from your fly to be 1 to 1 1/2 x the depth of the water your fishing.
If your using additional weight to get your fly down, place that 6"-12" above your top fly. Your connection at the bend will work fine, or you can also attach the tippet to the eye of the top fly.

As far as good books to get you pointed in the right direction, take a look at the "Curtis Creek Manifesto". Don't let the comic book look of this little gem of a book fool you, this book is loaded with very good info for beginners.

As for your Neoprenes. You very well may have some pinhole leaks where they are 10 yrs old, or it could also be 'condensation' build up from body heat contrasting with cold water temps.
To my knowledge you cannot revamp 'Neo', you can only patch them.

I have no idea why 'felt soles' are not allowed in Maryland unless it is to control the transport of disease from watershed to watershed, but if that is the case they need to ban many other things also, I dunno......

Your luck will definately change, so keep at it.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-22-2008, 08:12 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

The banning of felt might be due to rock snot prevention....
Old 04-22-2008, 12:00 PM

yatesd is on a distinguished road

I just finished reading this book and it has quite a bit of information on stream tactics:

Amazon.com: The Orvis Fly-Fishing Guide, Completely Revised and Updated with Over 400 New Color Photos and Illustrations (Orvis): Tom Rosenbauer: Books

This has some info about Whirling disease and felt shoes:
Maryland's Inland Fisheries Home Page
Old 04-22-2008, 03:59 PM

HTiger is on a distinguished road

Wow!

Many thanks for all the thoughtful replies.

Some of the books mentioned sound really helpful; I'm going shopping and see what I can pick up. It feels funny to try to learn some fishing out of a book. But that's Ok, I guess. Thanks for the title suggestions.

I guess the waders are Ok. I turned them inside-out and filled the booties with water. No leaks or water seeping through. Maybe it was condensation that soaked my socks. I'll give 'em another day on the stream and see how it goes.

The attractor I was using was a larger nymph--about a #14 or #16 I think. The fly itself was, if memory serves, a #20. It sure felt nice to feel that strike!

Someday I'm going to catch a (some!) trout on that stream!
Old 04-22-2008, 05:28 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Welcome to the site!
Dan
Old 04-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.