The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 08:07 PM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road
Question Water Temps. East

Hi-

Went out tonight on a local river and took the water temperature and was surprised to see that my thermometer registered 50 degrees. Would this be abnormal for the state of VT in mid-April after 3-4 70 degree days?

Related- what are trout's prime temperature ranges?

Thanks for any help!

~Sesro1978
Old 04-21-2008, 10:13 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Water Temps. East

I think (if I remember right) most trout like that sub 60 degree range most in that 58-50 degree range. Any warmer then that, it can put the fish way off. Now remember browns like a bit warmer then while brooks like a bit cooler. Now as far as your temp, many things can go into factors for it. Way too many to get into here. But I can tell ya that water make up, bottom, and depth can make all the differance. This weekend I was able to get out on my boat with my father. We were on a small reservoir with some low water. The main lake was 44 degres and as we went up stream into what is now the old channel the water got dirty and shallow, we did hit 55 degrees. Crazy how just the dirty shallow water can warm so much faster then the rest. Thing is, with water that warm the pike and eyes in the lake could have already spawned and the perch just going into it. That makes things great since we had a very late spring up here, the ice didnt go off till last week. Now with trout you should watch things such as water flow and where/how the fish are holding. The fish might be a bit slugish and something like a nice mayfly/stone fly nymph fished low in the water might be something worth trying. Then again the fish could already be willing to surface after dry flys.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:40 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

Brook like it cold, rainbows & browns enjoy cold to warmer waters early 60's.

Right now with the rivers still high from melt it will take a bit for the fish to kick into action. I was told by a NH state biologist that when the rivers are kicked up like this the Ph shifts and has a doping affect on the fish. This was why high water is never as productive as normal levels.

Our rivers in the Mtns of NH are running near or at 50 degrees. It's Normal. Our fish are only just starting to wake up on the lakes & ponds, it will take a few more weeks for the rivers to start turning on.

How far up the state are you located?
Old 04-22-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGal View Post
Brook like it cold, rainbows & browns enjoy cold to warmer waters early 60's.

Right now with the rivers still high from melt it will take a bit for the fish to kick into action. I was told by a NH state biologist that when the rivers are kicked up like this the Ph shifts and has a doping affect on the fish. This was why high water is never as productive as normal levels.

Our rivers in the Mtns of NH are running near or at 50 degrees. It's Normal. Our fish are only just starting to wake up on the lakes & ponds, it will take a few more weeks for the rivers to start turning on.

How far up the state are you located?
Hey-

Thanks both for the feedback :-) I'm up here (or down here depending where you are) in the Quechee, VT area. Been fishing in the Ottaquechee mostly (close to home) which is running high and cloudy though in some spots I've been able to toss around in a nymph in 2' - 5' of water. There's some productive looking water and I *know* there must be fish hanging out down there...somewhere :-)
Old 04-23-2008, 01:08 AM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

If you are really intrested in how fish will react to the water temp, dont use a fly. A small spoon or small spinner can tell you a ton about how the fish will react when looking to feed. I know some areas are fly ownly so if that is your case, try some sort of streamer that is a bit more aggressive. Back to the spinner...if a fish is willing to chase down and pumble a spinner you know the water is right for them to be aggressively feeding. If they do not want to hit the lure or do it sluggishly then you know something that is a bit easier or natural could prove to be key to catching fish. Also since it is spring, matching the bugs that are coming out is very importance. Some bugs hatch best in a set temp, this could and often does put fish into a feeding mode since they know they can feed heavily since food is all over. Often when that happens fish become less warry. On the other hand, if a fish isnt feeding much, they maybe picky to hit something when food or possible food comes their way.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:20 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

I'm ten miles from Mt. Washington....our rivers are still rip-raging from the melt and the ponds & lakes are slow to turn on...

I'm attempting to be patiently waiting...It's been a long winter.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGal View Post
I'm ten miles from Mt. Washington....our rivers are still rip-raging from the melt and the ponds & lakes are slow to turn on...

I'm attempting to be patiently waiting...It's been a long winter.
True enough...very long winter. All fish aside; it is wonderful to get out and work out the kinks.