The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default 0, 1, 2?

Was thinking aboutsome low weight rods I once seen in a fly shop down in Touse New Mexico. Crazy how much they wanted for them, but that got me to thinking again. What good is a low weight rod anyways? I see most of us on here use 4-5 wt rods as the norm for trout. So going down to such a low wt. must then be like going from a Medium action down to an UL action spinning rod for pan fish. Are they harder to cast with? Does it make fishing for smaller fish better? Are there advantages to such? There are more small pan fish up here then you can shake a stick at. My 5wt seams like way too much rod for most of them. Is getting something like a 1wt and a small reel to match not such a bad idea? Or do such a thing come to be more or a custom and end up being high $$price$$?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:23 PM

plland is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 0, 1, 2?

I have a 00wt Sage TXL. I think the main advantage is just what you say, it's more fun to catch and land small fish (although when you get a medium or large size fish on there, it can be REALLY fun). Lighter rods have increased line sensitivity as well. I can feel a strike with this rod, without having to rely on a strike indicator. Another advantage is that such a light rod simply is easier and more enjoyable to cast due to its apparent weightlessness compared to something like a 5wt. Because of the lighter line, it also has a quieter presentation than the heavier rods, which has advantages in the flats of a stream where you can see a trout feeding in a foot and a half of water, but don't want to spook it by casting a heavy line right over it.
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:26 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough

I have a 2 wt. One of my fishing buddies calls it my buggy whip. Sure is fun to catch small fish on. Also great for small streams and gently placing flies in the right spot.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I also have a 2 wt. They are more for DRY fly fishing or small nymphs. It is all about getting into the fight more. They are fun! When a 6" fish feels like a 16" you understand.
I think the biggest I landed was a 17" Brown out of the river and a good current. I was running down the shore however. My Bro. was down stream and he just netted it for me, otherwise he would have had to get out of the way, so I figure it was a good choice ;-)
Old 04-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

There's some fairly cheap 2wts out there. I'll prolly have one before too long.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:08 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

one thing not mentioned is that a 0, 1 or 2 weight rod is usually matched with a 0, 1 or 2 weight line, and those become more difficult to cast in wind.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:44 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezamora View Post
one thing not mentioned is that a 0, 1 or 2 weight rod is usually matched with a 0, 1 or 2 weight line, and those become more difficult to cast in wind.

eric
fresno, ca.
My experience has been the opposite. At least with my 00wt rod (and 00wt DT line), wind does not have as much of an effect on the line as it does with a 5wt or 7wt. I think it's because the thinner line presents less surface area to the wind to be pushed on.

Granted, my 5wt rod can cast farther, wind or no wind, than my 00wt rod. I'm just saying relative effect is less in the lighter line, IME at least.
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:23 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

got a 3wt and it rocks! you can feel a bluegill take a fly. pretty sensitive and casts like a dream!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:50 AM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Main reason for asking is simple. Up here there is not much opertunity for fly fishing. Well in my area and 100 mile radius. Or atleast thats how it was. Now there are a few areas that offer some amazing smallie action, some pike, and some panfish. So not touching my 5wt for 3 years I picked it up and actually got to use it. Didnt go over too well sine I was rust and there was a bit of wind that day. The popper I was using met the side of the boat and well it kinda exploded when it hit. Oh well. Most conventional fishing proves to be be very hot so why not on a fly. Since pike are my favorite fish and I could fish for them for days on ends, I figure why not try another way of fishing for them. With that other fishing options came along. So far this year I've only gotten out 2 times. The first was actual fishing for fish with my 5wt. I was using several small minnow imitator flys around that 6-8 size. My 5wt did great casting these smaller flys. (I realy dont have a use for anything under a size 8 hook just too small for these non trout fish). Thing is the fish I was catching were small...very small. 3-5 inch perch and crappy. Ive for years used UL SUL and micro spinning rods for pan fish and walleyes. The second time I got out to use a fly rod I took my 9wt out and a few flys I just got done tying. Though it was windy the 9wt I could pump out a lot of line. Almost to a pint that I needed to be a few more feet above the water to get a better back and forth. With the higger and heavier flys, weight added for sinking, I had a much easier time doing so. Though my 5wt can handle small (or what I call small) flys, I find the bigger flys easier to cast with. Now with the fact of a lot of small fish but easy to catch and access, I just figured I may now look for a smaller/lighter wt fly rod. To me my 5wt is just a bit too heavy for some of the smaller fish that are so easily found. I'll have to look into picking one up. Though flyrods are in short order around here.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by plland View Post
My experience has been the opposite. At least with my 00wt rod (and 00wt DT line), wind does not have as much of an effect on the line as it does with a 5wt or 7wt. I think it's because the thinner line presents less surface area to the wind to be pushed on.

Granted, my 5wt rod can cast farther, wind or no wind, than my 00wt rod. I'm just saying relative effect is less in the lighter line, IME at least.
While this is true regarding wind resistance, a 0,1,2 will have much lower limits as to dry fly size and leader length that it can effectively turn over. For instance, if you're fishing a size 12 drake hatch on slick water that mandates a 10'+ leader, a 0,1,2 rod will likely produce nothing more than frustration.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.