The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 09:19 AM

kinderfly is on a distinguished road
Default new to the forum and new to fly fishing

good morning folks,

I just wanted to say hi to everyone and introduce myself to the forum. I'm new to fly fishing and i have to admit it is trying on my nerves. I've been out 4 or 5 time without a bite. I know it's going to take me a long time to get the hang of it though. I've tried in the past and gave up after a week and went back to my spinners and spoons. I've read a lot of books this year about techniques and strategies but i need to practice. I'm located in eastern new york near Mass. I think i spook more fish than anything trying to learn how to cast properly... I'm getting the hang of it though. I actually did catch a little chub yesterday. By little i mean 4 inches.

Anyway, Just want to say hi to everyone and i'll be back...

I do mostley trout fishing.

Aaron Beach...
Old 04-22-2008, 01:25 PM

zipex is on a distinguished road
Default Re: new to the forum and new to fly fishing

Welcome as my self i am new to the site

check out WTEO - Wisconsin Trout Exploration Outfit if you are at all interested in stream exploration and restoration
Old 04-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Kinderfly, 4" or 40" a fish is a fish, and you felt the BENDO.
Hope you stick with ff long enough to give it a fair chance, but it not something you can learn by yourself, and will take the rest of your life to master. Might sound grim, but I look at it as a challenge and something to strive for.
One again Welcome!
Joni
Old 04-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:03 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

find someone to take you out on a stream and show you the basics. a TU chapter member, a pro guide, a local flyshop employee, a local fly club member... anyone.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:30 AM

fishenrg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderfly View Post
I just wanted to say hi to everyone and introduce myself to the forum. I'm new to fly fishing and i have to admit it is trying on my nerves. I've been out 4 or 5 time without a bite. I know it's going to take me a long time to get the hang of it though. I've tried in the past and gave up after a week and went back to my spinners and spoons. I've read a lot of books this year about techniques and strategies but i need to practice. I'm located in eastern new york near Mass. I think i spook more fish than anything trying to learn how to cast properly... I'm getting the hang of it though. I actually did catch a little chub yesterday. By little i mean 4 inches.
Welcome to the forum! You and I are in much the same boat here, so to speak. I started to really try to fly fish last summer without much success. I was using mostly dries because that was easiest for me to see and ended up catching only one tiny (and I mean tiny, like 3 inches) brookie for many hours effort. Part if it is that I am just down the road from the Platte River here in Michigan where it is crystal clear and fairly narrow with lots of trees along the bank. By the time I get to where I can possibly cast to where they are, they've seen me and I get to watch them swimming away.

But keep your head up because I think you do learn something new every time. Plus its a great and relaxing way to spend a few hours.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:29 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Howdy ! It took me 20 years to realize that my whole approach to flyfishing
was wrong . Practice casting in your backyard, and then go fishing.
Your leader and fly should be properly matched: light fly, light leader; heavy fly, heavy leader. Try fishing with a small Wooly Bugger. They catch almost
anything, and don't require the more careful presentation that a tiny dry fly
would. They should, but it's not necessary.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:47 PM

zipex is on a distinguished road

hey thanks for coming in on this site, great resource for flying..
Old 04-26-2008, 10:10 PM

RobDutk is on a distinguished road

Hey welcome,

I'm just now taking up fly fishing too and yet to get a bite, but you have found a very valuable resource here at NAFFF to get you started, These guy are wise and EXTREMLY friendly and helpful.

I have pretty much given up the hope that I will ever catch anything and have just been tyring to enjoy the time on the water and take it all in. It is just nice to get away from everything for a few hour a week, someday when I land my first steelie it will make it all the more sweeter.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:14 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Welcome,
I'm also new to the world of Fly-Fishing and this forum along with U Tube and "The Orvis Fly-Fishing Guide" have been invaluable in my learning process
Not to mention my neighbors pond .
Now if I could just hook up with someone that want's go go fishing. Gas will probably be $4 a gal. for reg. by tomorrow