The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 08:08 PM

RobDutk is on a distinguished road
Default Do you fish with 2 flys? Why not 3 or 4?

Hey guys,

So I have been trying to figure out how I want to fish around here (here being north west IN south west MI,) for rainbows/ steelies. The last two weekends I went out I tried the chuck and duck since that seems like what everyone does.

It is fun enough but not really what I would call fly fishing (not a lot of technique) . HuronDan suggested indicator fishing for Steelies and I look forward to getting out next weekend to try that.

I noticed the guys around here that were chuck and duck casting were using 2 flies. one tied to another by about 10" or so of what I assume is flouro. it was also recommended to do a similar type set up for indicator fishing.

So the question is why? I only assume it is to increase your chances of a strike on one or the other fies, if that is the case why not 3 or 4 or 5 flies? Is it just blasphemy or would it just be too long of a leader/ tippet?

Thanks again for the feed back you old pros, I hope that someday I can actually add to the conversation instead of always initiating.

Rob
Old 04-22-2008, 08:21 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Do you fish with 2 flys? Why not 3 or 4?

Check the local regs. In many areas it is illegal to fish with more than 2 flies.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:28 PM

Ok so I just read the "New member, general perplexions" thread and that shed a little light on it. so the lead fly is the "attactor" fly and the trailing fly is the one that you are betting on the fish striking?

So that would suggest that the front would be say a bright colored egg pattern when fishing for salmon/ rainbows and the trailier would be nymph/ fly pattern?
Old 04-22-2008, 08:36 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

That's it exactly.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:39 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

I like fishing 2 flies during a hatch that represent 2 different stages of the same insect. For example, a sulphur emerger trailed behind a sulphur dun. Personally, I find more than 2 more trouble than it's worth. 2 flies is about all I can handle with my mediocre casting skills before I start making a mess out of things and getting everything all tangled up. Nothing more frustrating than standing in the middle of a bunch of rising fish trying to untangle your leader every 5 minutes.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:47 PM

Good point,

Given my newbitude . . . I prob would have my hands full with 2 flies.

Thanks,
Old 04-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshort View Post
I like fishing 2 flies during a hatch that represent 2 different stages of the same insect. For example, a sulphur emerger trailed behind a sulphur dun. Personally, I find more than 2 more trouble than it's worth. 2 flies is about all I can handle with my mediocre casting skills before I start making a mess out of things and getting everything all tangled up. Nothing more frustrating than standing in the middle of a bunch of rising fish trying to untangle your leader every 5 minutes.
I basically agree. I will generally put my flies more like 12"-18" apart so they're fishing different depths.

The best advice I can give is to make sure the dropper fly (closer to the fly line) is unweighted. Otherwise you get the dreaded "tetherball effect" where the dropper has a tendency to wrap around the leader.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:00 AM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Back when I was in Colorado a few people that I talked with about how they fly fish, suggest that at sometimes of the year, as in the spring, if you put the right fly up top you can use it as a strike indicator or even a bobber. Point shows that as the one fly floats the other can be tied just low enough that it can skim the bottom and be used much easier in something like a heavier spring current. It looks probable to me. I'd not try multiple flys just for the reason of a mess. Hook a fish on the front and end up with the second hooking some place else on teh fish or so tangled up that you have to stop to retie. Largly fly placement and fly types make a world of differance.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:39 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I am reluctant to try 2 at once .I tied 2 on and not even casting I had the worst rats nest somehow???? see others do it no problem. maybe it just happened for me at that exact moment. now i don't try it cause had to tie up a whole new leader on the river

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:45 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

In my state i think you are allowed 3 hooks on a line---the 2 fly setup is sometimes used by guides to get thier clients "hooked up"----the fish goes after the attractor fly and intercepts the leader---the client tries to set the hook and misses the hookup on the attractor fly and the point fly follows and hooks the fish on the outside of the mouth.

steelheaders use the same technique and dredge the bottom and get the leader in the fishs mouth and hook up fish when they are on the gravel

I tried 3 flies once---that was enough