The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 06:55 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Local Stream Looks Great as Gas Prices Look Awful...

I moved to this lovely 'burb last year, and the famous Neshaminy Creek passes exactly one mile from my driveway. Since we moved here one year ago, I've stopped by about 6 times. The Neshaminy gets wide here, as it's only about 4 miles from where it joins the Delaware River. The Delaware's tides run up the creek, and that's the biggest reason I haven't fished this section much: Don't want to dirty my waders, line, and flies with tidal
water . There was something chasing the baitfish all over this afternoon as the tide was flowing upstream, and I did catch some bluegill. My wife caught a decent smallmouth last summer, and people tell me there are all sorts of large gamefish in this section.

So....Is your local stream starting look better????
Old 04-25-2008, 07:16 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Local Stream Looks Great as Gas Prices Look Awful...

There are a lot of great streams close to town here in Jackson Hole. They have always looked good but with higher gas price and good fishing so close this year will see less road trip for different water I'm sure.

I'm just waiting to see what impact it has on bookings for guided trips. Hopefully not much as I got a couple good medical bills to pay.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-25-2008, 08:56 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't even think of the effect on guided trips. Hopefully you'll do well, and I
I wish you the best of health, Dave .
Old 04-25-2008, 09:29 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road

Looks like this is gonna be a tough summer with the gas prices. Our trips will probably consist of 2 or 3 day outings at a time to make it a little worthwhile.

Best of luck to ya Davo - seems the little pleasures in life are the first to be cut by folks - hopefully, it won't impact guides too much.

Phil
Old 04-26-2008, 12:36 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i just shot a depressing photo today. gas prices went up at a couple of local chevrons, just a matter of time when all reflect the same. $4.05/$4.15/$4.23/gallon...

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:54 AM

philthy is on a distinguished road

Eric,

WOW. Ouch. Dang! It's hovering right around 3.40 - 3.45 a gallon here in Albuquerque....so far. I'm gonna stop complaining too much now. That hurts just thinking about it.

Phil
Old 04-26-2008, 08:55 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I didn't even think of the effect on guided trips. Hopefully you'll do well, and I
I wish you the best of health, Dave .
Should have said in my earlier post that so far bookings are going well. Greg my boss has already booked several group trips, so that may be how folks save this summer.
Thanks for the health wishes as well. All is going good. Got rid of the Gallbladder and am recovery quickly. Started back to my patrol schedule today in fact.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:05 AM

Hey Frank

Have you ever fished Tulpahocken creek in reading? Or more to the point the reservoir up above. I use to fish the creek alot when I lived in Villanova. Reading was part of my sales territory so I always took my gear with me. The creek is stocked for trout and due to the dam being bottom release it holds trout for the first few miles. After that it becomes wide and slow but is rumored to hold a good smallmouth population.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:26 AM

Hi Dave, I've only seen the Tulpahecken Creek on maps . My wife wants
to get up there, so it might not be too long before I set foot there. In fact,
my wife wants to hit a lot of the well-known trout streams in PA. We can
use her Ford Focus to offset the gas cost
Old 04-26-2008, 11:01 AM

Frank

It's a good little creek. If you go for the trout park in the lot at the dam and walk down stream from there. Some nice little pools just in to the trees from the lot. If you can hit it at first light there is a nice trico hatch that can be fun and frustrating. LOL.

Below the covered bridge is where it turns into smallmouth water when things heat up in the summer. Never fished for the smallies but I did catch a couple on streamers by accident.

You should also try Penns creck during the Green Drake hatch. I only did it once but it was awesome fishing. We were on private water but the guide said it was just as good on the public water above in Poe State Park named after Edgar Allen Poe.