The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Flycasting Spawnbags? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/4050-flycasting-spawnbags.html)

RobDutk 04-26-2008 08:46 PM

Flycasting Spawnbags?

Ok so weird question which comes from my roots as a spin angler.

When fishing for Salmon/ Steelhead in Southwest MI/ Northern IN, I grew up throwing out spawn bags or what we called wobble glows on a spinning set up and bouncing them off the bottom.

Question: Has anyone ever tried casting real eggs/ spawn bags with your flycasting setup, say with a sinking line and maybe splitshot for salmon or is that just blasphemy?

Do you guys think this would work for Steelhead?

As always I wait for your comments with baited breath (ha).

Rob

shorthaul 04-26-2008 10:13 PM

Re: Flycasting Spawnbags?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobDutk (Post 27210)

is that just blasphemy?

Do you guys think this would work for Steelhead?

Yes---around here

Yes

clean your corks on your rod after every trip:p

Guy 04-26-2008 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobDutk (Post 27210)
....or is that just blasphemy? ....

Rob

I think Halford just turned over in his grave!:eek:

I ain't a steelheader but I'm sure what you describe could be done,,,,, afterall when I was learning to flyfish, one thing I found out that was that an earthworm dangled downstream with a fly rod and floating line underneath all those cornerpool logjams was just about as good as dynamite to get those pesky little brookies out from under all debris!!!;)

I say, "Go for it!" If you flyfish long enough, you may start to feel some "shame" for resorting to bait, but in the meantime you can enjoy catching fish !!!!:icon_lol:

Guy

fyshstykr 04-27-2008 01:06 AM

Hi Rob,
I'm certainly far from being a purist, but that just doesn't sound right.:wink:

It certainly seems much more difficult than just using the spin gear. I bet you will certainly get some looks though.:icon_eek: lol

For myself, I would use the spinning rod if that's what's workin....

RobDutk 04-27-2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyshstykr (Post 27220)
For myself, I would use the spinning rod if that's what's workin....

I guess that then really takes us to the question of why would we choose our fly rod/ gear vs. other methods. . . something that I would guess will be a different answer for each person.

Since I'm so new to the sport, I'm willing to try anything however unorthodox, and I'm not as bound by the tradition (at least not yet, hopefully someday I will be). Personally I like using a fly rod because it is more fun to cast. Spin casting just gets boring for me. Making the perfect cast is challenging with the fly rod, to me more fun and why I like using my fly gear.

I get bored easily and a fly rod has me constantly doing something.

Thanks again for the thoughts/ opinions guys, I appreciate it.

Rob.

BigCliff 04-27-2008 11:41 AM

Spawnbags= bait fishing, no matter what tackle is used.

And if you want to fish them with the advantages of a fly rod combined with a spinning rod, I'd buy a "Noodle rod" to fish with 6lb line. (And actually, I bet a noodle rod would make a pretty great 4wt spey rod if paired with a DT line)