The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 10:39 PM

cimages11 is on a distinguished road
Question Quick question?

Is Armor All safe to use on fly lines and equipment such as rod guides and reels.. I heard somewhere, (not sure where anymore) that you can use amor all to spray on the fly line while it is on the reel to improve casting distance. Just curious if this works and does not degrade the line...
Thanks..
Old 04-27-2008, 11:07 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question?

I've read all sorts of Armor All horror stories. I've been using "303 Aerospace
Protectant" on my canoe with great results. That product seems to be replacing Armor All with vintage car owners, along with kayak and canoe
care. It's the only thing sold at the paddle sports outfitters I visit. It's not
greasy like Armor All, and I have read that people are using it on fly lines.
You can find it at marine supply stores, and some auto care stores. If
you google the name, the company's website will have a list of nearby dealers.

303 users claim that they haven't experienced any breakdown of the fly
line's coating, and the vintage car owners speak as if this stuff was sent
from heaven.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:03 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Is it really worth the risk to an expensive fly line to experiment?
I have lines that are very old and very well used and as slick and crack-free as ever. They have never had automotive products put on them. I spend $3-5.00 and get what the manufacturer recommends.
Most good, modern lines like Rio with their AgentX coating, SA with AST and Wulff with J3 coating really need little more than bar soap to make them new. In real nasty conditions a swipe or two with the SA/3M microabrasive line cleaning pad brings a fresh surface to the top. On those lines the slickness is built into the coating.
I've heard reports on those using Armor All that ranged from it washes off very quickly in water to it ruined new Wonderlines.
Not worth the risk IMHO for what a real line conditioner costs.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:12 AM

fishenrg is on a distinguished road

For me its not really a question of whether it will hurt the line or not. Its more, do you really want that stuff in the water?? Its the same stuff I tell guys who insist that WD-40 helps them to catch walleyes, petrochemicals like that do not belong in the water.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:25 PM

jayraider is on a distinguished road

i agree with fishenrg. i believe the human population does far too much damage to our ecosystems all towards efforts to increase productivity. i use soft soap and a wash cloth to clean my fly line. i feel like conservation should be the top priority for us and that all actions we take, we should have conservation in mind. just thought i would add my perspective.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:06 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that putting stuff in the water isn't cool, but we have to remember that our cars leave a film of oil that gets washed into streams and rivers when it rains. I was hesitant to fish a tidal stream last week, because
the tide brings oils upstream, and I didn't want to get my line dirty !

My lines were simply washed for years, but I did buy some SA fly line dressing
last month. It does make the tip float better, and I don't see any signs of
the material leeching into the water. I do see a little oil slick around a fly
that's been treated with a floatant like Aquel. If you need to use an Armor All
type product, I can assure you that 303 wipes off canoes without leaving a
greasy mess. Ol' A.K. Best recommends bringing a cloth to clean your line
while fishing, and that makes sense to me.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:21 AM

Guy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimages11 View Post
Is Armor All safe to use on fly lines and equipment such as rod guides and reels.. I heard somewhere, (not sure where anymore) that you can use amor all to spray on the fly line while it is on the reel to improve casting distance. Just curious if this works and does not degrade the line...
Thanks..
Well, the short answer is "Yes, it does improve distance." But it's a short lived improvement. Seems that the "slickness" doesn't last long and you end up with a slightly gummy line that gets dirty and doesn't cast well anymore. In the old days, some guys just kept spraying their line (I have seen guys spray their lines two and three times a day with Armorall) to keep the line "freshened".

Of course it was all self defeating. Oh, you could salvage some of the older lines with a good thorough cleaning and start all over again. Then the we started seeing flylines being made an added slickness of their own and other specific flyline treatment products. The "Amorall" improvement wasn't necessary anymore and indeed if you did use Amorall you often messed up the original coating,,,, so the Amorall treatment for the most part seems to have fallen by the wayside.

That said, if you want to fish for a day with an old cracked up Cortland 333 you bought at a garage sale, then Amorall may just be the ticket to temporaily restore that line to fishing condition. But then again, "303 Protectant" maybe a better solution there too!

Guy
Old 04-29-2008, 05:31 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Well, the short answer is "Yes, it does improve distance." But it's a short lived improvement. Seems that the "slickness" doesn't last long and you end up with a slightly gummy line that gets dirty and doesn't cast well anymore. In the old days, some guys just kept spraying their line (I have seen guys spray their lines two and three times a day with Armorall) to keep the line "freshened".

Of course it was all self defeating. Oh, you could salvage some of the older lines with a good thorough cleaning and start all over again. Then the we started seeing flylines being made an added slickness of their own and other specific flyline treatment products. The "Amorall" improvement wasn't necessary anymore and indeed if you did use Amorall you often messed up the original coating,,,, so the Amorall treatment for the most part seems to have fallen by the wayside.

That said, if you want to fish for a day with an old cracked up Cortland 333 you bought at a garage sale, then Amorall may just be the ticket to temporaily restore that line to fishing condition. But then again, "303 Protectant" maybe a better solution there too!

Guy
There IS an echo in here!
Old 04-29-2008, 10:05 PM

cimages11 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the input. I was just more curious than anything. I do agree though that the less pollutants we put in the water the better.