The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 08:58 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Patagonia Waders??

I am in need of a new pair of Waders and have an opportunity to pisk up a Patagonia for a really good deal. I have never had waders from them and for that matter never even seen a pair yet. Review on the net are good but not sure who wrote them. Any help would be appreciated,
Old 08-25-2010, 01:37 AM

jasalvas will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Patagonia Waders??

Patagonia makes good products. If I had the money, and came across a great deal on some Pat. waders, I wouldnt think about it. I have some older Simms Goretex, that are still in good shape but have plans to get a back up pair, made by Patagonia!
Let us know what you do!
Old 08-26-2010, 12:14 AM

jasalvas will become famous soon enough

So have you made a decision Tracker?
Old 08-26-2010, 06:49 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Shop I deal with says to stay with "Simms" if I am going to spend that kind of dollars. Now I am perlexed. I guess they did not like the older models of PG since they did not have a membrane. New ones do but that obviously have not won them over yet. Just not a lot of people that own them to get a good reference.

Last edited by Tracker12; 08-26-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:44 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

I got a pair of the Patagonia Guidewater waders for this season and all I can say is they are the best pair of waders I have ever had. The main reason I got them was because of the unique suspender system they have. I rarely use waders in the chest high mode and like wearing them as waist highs. With the Patagonias I wear them as waist highs, but I get the benefit of the suspenders. For me, it is the best of both worlds. Also, the wool booties are a very nice touch and help keep your feet warm in the cold water. I have only had them for a season so I cannot attest to their durability. However, I have seen nothing that would leave me to believe they will not stand the test of time in the durability department. I have had Simms and Orvis and they are all good brands. The Patagonias are my favorites so far.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the report good news. I talked to another dealer today who said the new model Pats are really nice but that they will not be available for a few months. Not sure what I am going to do.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:55 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
Shop I deal with says to stay with "Simms" if I am going to spend that kind of dollars. Now I am perlexed. I guess they did not like the older models of PG since they did not have a membrane. New ones do but that obviously have not won them over yet. Just not a lot of people that own them to get a good reference.
Those shop guys misinformed you about older Patagonia membranes not having a membrane. They do. Patagonia has been using a membrane called Hydrostorm for years. Over the years it has evolved to be a very durable membrane. Patagonia is so confident about it, that its top of the line waders are reinforced using three layer technology, whereas others are using five layer technology.

Like any other set of waders, it can last long or fail. I put 8 years in an old set of SST waders. It never leaked on me. I ended giving it away after I purchased a set of Watermaster II waders three years ago. Unfortunately a seam failed early in the summer. Patagonia was good enough to warranty them. I have a store credit at the shop that I could use when I decide to get new waders.

I have a backup set of Redington waders that I could use until I make my decision on what to get. I will most likely get the 2011 model when it comes out.

MP
Old 08-27-2010, 06:21 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Patagonia Waders??

I don't own a pair personally but have a vest, rain jacket, fleece, capilene and many more. If these product are a testament to their work then I would highly recommend the waders. Seems everything they make I have has been with me for at least the last 15 years-and they work very well. It's a very good brand.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:23 PM

MP
Thanks for the info. Do you have an idea when the 2011's will come out?
Old 08-27-2010, 09:49 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
MP
Thanks for the info. Do you have an idea when the 2011's will come out?
I am not sure. It could be a 1/11 or 2/11 release.

MP