The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   LaCrosse Custom Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/4103-lacrosse-custom-rods.html)

Munkh 04-30-2008 03:19 PM

LaCrosse Custom Rods

Anyone have any expierience with these rods? Ive seen them on Ebay for pretty cheap/affordable prices so I was wondering about the quality ect.

Thanks

Frank Whiton 04-30-2008 03:58 PM

Re: LaCrosse Custom Rods

Hi Munkh,

I have never seen or heard of them till your post so keep that in mind.

I went to their web site and they don't list any prices. They all seem to be slow to medium speed rods. I noticed on the Axis series rods that they state their flex rating as IM-8. IM-8 is nomenclature for a certain modulus graphite. I looked at their photo gallery and they are in Canada plug fishing. They may have caught some with a fly rod but there is no indication of it.

Here is my thoughts. They don't make custom rods it is just a name. They are importing the rods from overseas like many other companies. They may or may not be a good rod for the money. They look OK but they show the same Reverse Half Wells grips on all of the pictures. They show the AXIS in weights 6 to 9 but the pictures still have the same Reverse Half Walls grip. That is a bit unusual for this weight of rods. So if they are cheap and you are expecting a cheap product then it might be worth it. If you are expecting a super rod for a cheap price then you may be disappointed.

Frank

Munkh 04-30-2008 04:47 PM

Thanks Frank,

I am looking for a good rod but am on a budget so when I saw them I thought it was to good to be true for a "custom" rod so I thought id ask here if anyone had played with one. I think Ill keep looking. Thanks again

Frank Whiton 04-30-2008 05:09 PM

Hi Munkh,

Keep your eye on this thread. Maybe somebody has one. My comments are just observation and opinions. I could be wrong.

Frank

patglo 10-01-2009 04:45 AM

Hi Munkh,

I bought a 7FT 2WT 2PC LaCrosse Custom Axis II Fly Rod on eBay a little over a year ago and I love it. It appears to be of high quality and worth every penny of the 50 bucks (plus $10 S&H) I gave for it. I only wish a spare rod tip was available without buying a whole other rod, which I may do anyway just because they're priced so reasonable.

By comparison, my LaCrosse looks and casts just as well as any of the fly rods in my arsenal.

I truly believe you wouldn't be sorry if you bought one.

Pat S.
Greenwood, MO

jpbfly 10-01-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:By comparison, my LaCrosse looks and casts just as well as any of the fly rods in my arsenal.
I had seen these rods on e bay too,they look fine and they're really cheap.
I've got some expensive rods but also a few cheap ones and as patlo said: they look and casts just as well as any of the fly rods in my arsenal,depends what you expect your rod to be able to do:D.If I remember well Ard(hardyreel has a cheap salmon rod he loves)
The most important thing is to feel well with a rod.

axle27 10-01-2009 12:07 PM

I almost bought one of them, but was hesitant because no one really knew about them. Patience paid off as I got my hands on a 7ft 2wt 2pc St. Croix Imperial (older model).

Anywho, the rod that Ard uses is a Quarrow. I will back him up on this. I have one rigged for trout streamers exclusively. I love that rod. It doesn't feel quite as good as my Avid, but it feels almost exactly like the 9ft 5wt Imperial. They could be made by the same people for all of how they feel. Oh, and it's a 9ft, 5wt 3pc.

Hope you get one. Let me know how it goes.

Hardyreels 10-01-2009 12:23 PM

I like to try new things, especially things that don't break the bank. I saw them for sale and after having a good experience with another value priced fly rod I was curious.

I bought one for my wife. I got her a 4pc. 9wt. I have cast it quite a bit and it launches a 9wt just fine. It was bought as a king rod but she has not caught a king on it yet. I expect it will land a fish with no problem.

The blank is deep blue and has dark blue wraps with silver tipping, (nice wrap job) other than the fact that they use a weird winding check they look about the same as any other fly rod on the market. The big difference is I paid about $58.00 for this one.

Go ahead and give one a try, I'm not sure what weight your looking at but if they all cast as well as the 9wt. I bought you will be able to fish with it quite readily.

I own quite a few rods and have owned and sold many more. These were and are rods by Thomas & Thomas, Orvis, St. Croix, Scott, Sage, Fenwick, Edwards, Powell, Ike Walton, South Bend, Hedden, Quarrow, and LaCross.

Some of these fishing rods cost over six hundred dollars. Some cost almost that much back in the late seventies when five hundred bucks was a bunch of money for a fishing rod. My point in all this is that I have cast a lot of rods. I found nothing in the casting characteristics of the LaCross rod that I can say anything negative about.

Long story short, go ahead, try one.

axle27 10-01-2009 03:15 PM

Didn't know you had a LaCrosse, Ard. If Ard says they're OK, you can bank on it.

Hardyreels 10-01-2009 03:44 PM

Thank you for the vote of confidence Robert!

I'll take it with me next spring (if Nancy isn't using it) and put it through the paces. Like I said, it casts well and I don't expect it to snap when you hook a fish.