The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 09:14 AM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough
Default Alkaline Lakes and Cracked Skin

I can't be the only one this happens to. When I spend the day fishing on an alkaline lake (which most of my favorite trout lakes are, shallow and weedy with lots of fish food), the skin on my hands gets so dried out it actually cracks.

I have had deep cracks in the skin and flesh form at the corners of my thumbnails and under my nails where the skin meets the nails. After the fishing day is over I usually apply some medicated hand lotion and after a few days the cracking goes away and all is healed.

Does this happen to anyone else but me?
Old 08-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Alkaline Lakes and Cracked Skin

I have not had this problem but my rudimentary background in chemistry tells me that if I had this problem I would buy a small bottle of shampoo having a fairly high Ph. When leaving the water for the day or for a break I would apply a small amount to the hands paying special attention to areas where I have the most trouble and then rinse them after a few minutes. I'm sure you get the idea behind this suggestion. Many products have the Ph listed on the container or you can stop into a salon and ask someone for a acidic rinse or shampoo.

You could also try your hand (no pun intended) at compounding and create your own high Ph lotion by adding a tad of vinegar to a pre compounded product but you may get some undesirable results such as the compound separating due to the influx of an acidic solution. First choice would be the beauty products, second would be mixing small batches on my own to see what will hold together and create a non greasy hand balm. Since you have found that the medicated cream you are using relives the dry cracking skin in a few days you have a source of treatment, what I am suggesting is a mitigation treatment.

That's the best I can do but if this were my problem I would give them a go.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-23-2010, 12:35 PM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Ard

One person suggested that I do what he does, and that is coat the areas that tend to crack with superglue. That seals the area and stops the cracking.

I'd love to hear more suggestions from anyone who has suffered from this and has a proven solution.

I guess I could rub cut limes on my fingers too... ;-)
Old 08-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I hadn't even thought of lemmons & limes, that's me though making a mountain of a molehill.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi michaeln,

I wonder how you could apply super glue with out getting everything stuck together. It would be hard to cast with a finger glued to the back of your hand.

I think you need to use something that applies a coating to the area. Some of the Sun Blocks use Titanium Dioxide as the active ingredient. It forms a thing coating on top of the skin that blocks sun rays. It also blocks water and it will run off of the surface. You would have to apply it several times a day but It may be a solution.

Then there is Baktolan that is made for the purpose of protecting the hands from solvents. If you go to the WEB page look at the specifications and it tells you all about it.

Frank
Old 08-23-2010, 06:03 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

happens to me all the time, especially when catching larger brookies and cutts, they have all those basibranchial teeth. you might check out rockclimber websites to see what they use, that's where the superglue idea originated.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:26 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Try a stripping glove. Put some Gold Bond lotion or lanolin on and install gloves.
Glacier Gloves Fly Fishing Stripping Gloves (For Men and Women) - Save 39%
Fly Fishing Accessory STRIPPING GUARDS
The Waterworks-Lamson Stripper Glove
Old 08-23-2010, 11:32 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeln View Post
Thanks Ard

One person suggested that I do what he does, and that is coat the areas that tend to crack with superglue. That seals the area and stops the cracking.
I do this and it does work. I get fissures on my fingers mainly because of my work and when one starts, i apply some super glue and it works great. Heals up real fast.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:44 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi michaeln,

I wonder how you could apply super glue with out getting everything stuck together. It would be hard to cast with a finger glued to the back of your hand.

Frank
Frank,

Since it takes just seconds to dry, you try not to touch anything while the glue is wet. Once it dries, it's like a second skin.

Some bank robbers use super glue instead of gloves so they won't leave fingerprints. There are also many legitimate uses, such as sealing cuts in lieu of suturing.

-VB
Old 08-24-2010, 03:00 AM

flores81 is on a distinguished road

that might be true