The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 11:29 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Fly fishing trip(s)- a nOObies tale.

Well, ok, it was really a camping trip with the family that i was able to sneak away a few times and get some practice in.

The first part of the trip was spent on the lower John Day river in the Columbia Gorge. With all the wind that was going on i wasnt about to attempt any fishing with a fly rod. Had some decent action with my ultra lite rid and a spinner though on some small mouth bass.

A few days later we were on the beautiful Deschutes river in the north central Oregon town of Maupin. I was able to get two evenings and one morning in fly fishing. Unfortunately it was mostly an exercise in frustration with some good moments tossed in. I spent a lot of time digging flies out of brush. No fish even sighted.

A few days after that we were south of the central Oregon town of Bend, near LaPine. I was only able to get away early one morning because of time constraints. This was also on the Deschutes though and very picturesque as well. However, this time i chose to fish a smaller river, the Fall river.

I was talking to an old timer in the parking lot before heading out to the river. Since i had never fished there before and it was fly fishing only i was asking about where the private property boundaries and no go areas were.

Here are a couple pics of the river...

Click the image to open in full size.

The old timer warned me of the difficulty of this river due to the clarity and gave me a few hints in regards to what to use and then i was off. Started working my way up river spotting fish but unable to entice them. I started trying other flies that old timer had suggested, or close approximations there of. Settled into a spot i liked that worked well for me to work on my form.

Fish started feeding right in front of me and continued to do so even with a number of my flubbed casts going off around them. Soon my casting found a groove though and i was able to entice quite a few fish to rise and even had two slam into my fly. No takers however. In fact, if you look at the following pic you can see one of the rivers inhabitants laughing at my sorry casting earlier and thinking i could get him to hit my fly...

It was fun even though i didnt catch any. I was able to see what was going on very well and learn from it.

I have another lesson coming up in a few weeks. This one is a two part one. Part in store and part on the river.

I am working up plans in my head on some camping trips next summer where i can fish some good water and highest on that list is being present for the Salmonfly hatch on the Deschutes. A few others are heading down to the upper Rogue and on the Umpqua. Going to start researching some places closer to home and in the near by coast range as well.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:58 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly fishing trip(s)- a nOObies tale.

Nice report, even if you didn't land any. Any day you get to wet a line is a good day fishing.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 08-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Vans: Very nice trip report and photos! I'm visiting friends in Bend, OR and we did an afternoon trip out to the Deschutes river south of town. Gorgeous looking water, but the fishing was pretty slow. Between the three of us we caught two brown trout. I met a guy from the Patient Angler Fly Shop throwing streamers and he had caught two and then later caught another before leaving. I'll post some photos when I return home. This sure is a gorgeous area to fly fish.

Larry
Old 08-24-2010, 10:59 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Thanks. It certainly was a lot of fun even if no fish were had.

I also went into The Patient Angler while in Bend on our trip. A nice shop and once the owner heard me talking to his helper, he came out from the back and offered up lots of advice and help. A Great place. I am going to look into taking some classes out of that shop next spring.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:52 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That is a beautiful piece of water you were at. Be happy that you have been able to fish there and see some fish too. That bright sun and clear water does make it tough. Glad to hear you had fun at it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
Thanks. It certainly was a lot of fun even if no fish were had.

I also went into The Patient Angler while in Bend on our trip. A nice shop and once the owner heard me talking to his helper, he came out from the back and offered up lots of advice and help. A Great place. I am going to look into taking some classes out of that shop next spring.
Vans: I went into the Patient Angler because Jimmie (another member here) recommended it to me, I concur that is a great fly shop. When I was on the river talking with one of the guys from the Patient Angler that I had met the day before, he gave me one of his streamers to try, I really appreciated that offer and will go back there the next time I'm in the area.

Larry