The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 05:06 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Twist

Actually got out to try some of my flys that I've been making. Water temps are still in the 40's so most of the fish up here arn't hitting anything. One thing I ran into was having the line twist a lot. After pulling the running part of (I think anyways) the fly line, it twisted and at times prevented casting. Is this somthing that I'm just going to have to deal with or is there any tricks to help prevent it.

This line was the line coming just off of the reel and didnt get to the rod. That spot is what twisted, the rest of the line was ok.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Twist

Two Possibilties:

It kinda sounds like you loaded the fly line onto the reel with the spool laying flat on the floor instead of rotating on an axis of some sort. (vurrry bad idea) If that was the case, you'll have trouble until you get the twist out of the fly line. The best remedy I know is dragging it behind a slow moving boat for a few minutes.

This one's MUCH less likely- The fly itself may be spinning and putting a twist in the line. This is generally more common, but the fact that you're noticing the twist between the reel and stripper makes me think this isn't the case.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:54 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
The best remedy I know is dragging it behind a slow moving boat for a few minutes.
On moving water you can achieve the same effect by casting as much line as you can downstream, playing the remaining fly line (and backing, too, if you think you coiled it, too) out full length downsteam, letting the line "ride" on the stream for a minute or so, then wind it all back onto the reel.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:34 PM

Deanona is on a distinguished road

Something else that may help is to find a partner, string your rod and pull off more line than you can cast.Have your helper grab the line in the middle of what you have stripped out, while you point the rod at them, and hold the leader end in your other hand.
Now have them back away until the line comes taught, once taught, slowly and gently stretch the line several times.This should help get out the coils and kinks, and will stretch the line a little more effectively than doing it alone on the water.
Hope this helps,
Ster
Old 05-07-2008, 08:41 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Well I didnt put the line on myself, the fly shop guy did it. I really cannot let all the line out to try and reset it, got over 300 yards on it. Letting just enough to get the part that is twisted out, good idea. I dont think that it is the fly that is doing the twisting...since I was out look'n for early pike, I had a wire leader on it with a high quality swivle. I make my own leaders so I can keep things small and light weight with but still keep things strong enough not to break.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Just getting the fly line off the reel to straigten out should be sufficient. I can't imagine that the guy at the fly shop was enough of a chucklehead to put the backing on there twisted.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:26 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Good advice. I always end my fishing day by taking off my fly, making the longest cast I can, then reeling my line in. In fact, sometimes I do this twice.
It really helps.

Randy