The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 11:17 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default brown trout help?

am new to the brownies and am trying to get my buddy to hit up this river with stock browns. the river is the cleanest in ohio. its called clear fork. they say to use.
Sulfurs 18 to 22.
The Light Cahill 14 to 16.
Tricos 20 to 24.
Caddis 14 to 18. The black caddises should be fished in
sizes 16 to 18, and they hatch from late March to mid-May.
The major stonefly on the lower Clear Fork River is the small Black Stone, and they
can start hatching in late February and continue to early May. Sizes range from 12 to 16.
The midge 20 to 32
I can make all these just need smaller hooks. any tips on browns? I take it they like smaller bugs than most fish? I never fished this small of size before. what tippet should we use? where do browns like to hide? boulders, and trees and undercut banks? says they are in the river all year? I really want to get on into some brown trout. sounds like a once in a lifetime experience for a fly fisher. my cousin wants findley instead but thats a lake and hard to fly fish on.. I am trying to persuade him. heres the site i found this on Mohican Fly Fishers of Ohio Clear Fork River

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:24 AM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: brown trout help?

Hi McFly,
Well, I don't fish browns any different than rainbows or brookies for that matter. In fact, many of the waters I fish carry all three so I never know what I'll catch.

From the looks of your fly list, it appears they are emphasizing dries. Remember, you can work nymphs or wets as well. Pay attention to whether or not there is any hatching activity going on. If so, try to match it with a dry. If no hatches are going on try either fishing the bottom with a pheasant tail or hares ear OR try my favorite and work the water with a soft hackle. That partridge and orange you tied for the wet fly swap would be a good one, as well as the hares ear soft hackle, partridge and yellow or pheasant tail soft hackle. Hell, try three at one time! We got all of those patterns in the fly swap. This time of year you shouldn't have to worry too much about fishing the tiny midges unless they're really zeroing in on them. And don't forget beetles and ants.

As far as holding lies ...... in front of and behind rocks and boulders; in current seams where fast and slow water meet (watch for bubble seams, they're good!); runs where deeper water is bordered by shallower water. Just pretend you're the fish. Where would you lay to stay out of water that's too fast but still let you see any food that's floating by!

Let us know how you do.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:59 AM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road

Fish it as you would any other river or stream. Browns can often get very aggressive towards larger prey, I would try some streamers too if there isn't much of a hatch. My adivice would be to turn over a few rocks and see whats around (literally). Look at the bugs or cases of caddis and then try to match it with your flies. If you don't see any fish rising I would start out with a mayfly/stonefly pattern (often very similar except for size-like a copper john) as well as a caddis pattern. Whatever starts to produce keep and then maybe try a dry of that fly instead of an indicator. By using too different insect imitations at once it allows you to "search" to find what the fish are actively feeding on.
If there are mayflies, stoneflies or caddis around, I would avoid the midge patterns at first. Fish want to consume the most energy (food) for the least amount of effort. They are more likely to move out of their feeding lane to snack on a large stonefly nymph than they are to sip on a size 22 midge (but only if there are stoneflies in the area). Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more specific questions and I'll try to steer you in the right direction.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:25 AM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

George! Small browns can be caught all day on the usual flys (insects tha inhabit the stream, I would go with a hellgramite for a nympth, and streamers. Small browns you can catch all day long on any fly that will catch a native rainbow. If you want to catch a big brown go with a nymph such as a hellgramite or black rubberlegs black stonefly, or a streamer, such as a epoxy trout,or another streamer, at dusk. The big brown mostly feed at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
am new to the brownies and am trying to get my buddy to hit up this river with stock browns. the river is the cleanest in ohio. its called clear fork. they say to use.
Sulfurs 18 to 22.
The Light Cahill 14 to 16.
Tricos 20 to 24.
Caddis 14 to 18. The black caddises should be fished in
sizes 16 to 18, and they hatch from late March to mid-May.
The major stonefly on the lower Clear Fork River is the small Black Stone, and they
can start hatching in late February and continue to early May. Sizes range from 12 to 16.
The midge 20 to 32
I can make all these just need smaller hooks. any tips on browns? I take it they like smaller bugs than most fish? I never fished this small of size before. what tippet should we use? where do browns like to hide? boulders, and trees and undercut banks? says they are in the river all year? I really want to get on into some brown trout. sounds like a once in a lifetime experience for a fly fisher. my cousin wants findley instead but thats a lake and hard to fly fish on.. I am trying to persuade him. heres the site i found this on Mohican Fly Fishers of Ohio Clear Fork River
Old 05-08-2008, 05:16 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

Dusk and dawn are when the bigger browns come to play. Streamers are my go to for trout unless a hatch is on.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:48 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

George, fish them like you would for any other stream trout. The bigger browns are more active in low light conditions and will come out to feed on the available food at the time. If there are bugs on the water try to match them, if not fish nymphs, or fish streamers. When I do fish streamers I'm fishing flies that are 3 to 4" long mininmum; I also like patterns that create a disturbance. Good luck...

Dan