The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 11:39 PM

Idaho Mike is on a distinguished road
Default Single Foot Ceramic Guides… worth it?

I’m in the market for a new 9’ 5 wt. that will be my ‘go-to’ rod. I’m close to picking it out, but I’ve been contemplating buying just the blank and having a custom rod built. The main reason (really the only reason) I would go the custom route is so I can have those single foot ceramic guides put on because I’ve been told they make a huge difference in casting. Now, I’ve also been told that I’ll never notice the difference between those and the standard snake/wire guides. I’m looking at buying a medium-fast action rod and I would call myself an average caster.

For reasons I won’t get into here, I’d rather just buy a rod off the rack. But if the ceramic guides do make it worth the effort, I’ll go there. So… what do you all think? Thanks for taking the time.

Take Care,
MIKE
Old 05-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Single Foot Ceramic Guides… worth it?

Building ceramic guides instead of snakes will add a LOT of weight to the rod and change the action of the rod quite alot. It will slow down the rods action a ton.

I'd buy one off the rack. The new TFO Axiom rods have some gorgeous and tip-top quality guides on them.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Mike,

I don't think the single foot ceramic guides would be a good choice to use on a 5wt fly rod. You could consider using them just for the stripping guides.

The better choice would be the REC RECOIL single foot guides with the Fuji Concept titanium stripping guides. The REC guides are nickel titanium and very light with a lot of flex. You don't say what your budget is so it is hard to recommend a particular rod instead of a custom assembled rod. I am not sure you are getting the best advise about guides. I wonder if this advice is coming from a local rod builder who builds bass rods?

Frank
Old 05-08-2008, 03:40 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

I would look at the Sage Launch.....a nice Medium Fast rod, good company...easy to cast and a 4 piece is around $200
Old 05-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Hmmmm, just had an idea. Someone should come out with a single footed guide made of ovalized wire so that the part of the guide contacting the line is shaped more like the inside of a spinning rod guide. Building it from solid wire with an oval cross section would make them much heavier, but if it was made from titanium with an hollow oval cross section, they could weigh nearly the same as current steel wire single footed guides and work better to feed line.

Anybody follow my idea? What do y'all think?

I bet we'll see them before too long if there as beneficial as I'm guessing they will be, since the gear mfg's are always looking for ways to add expensive features to their products in order to sell them for more money. (example- Simms top of the line waders.)

Old 05-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Cliff,

Why do you think an oval guide would be better than a round guide? Why heavy wire? The REC RECOIL guides move all over the place but return to their original shape. I think the RECOIL thin wire would work or the saltwater weight.

Frank
Old 05-08-2008, 07:53 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have Recoil snakes on two rods, and one of their greatest features is
shedding ice. I fished two Aeroflexes this past winter, one with RECOIL guides, and the other with chrome. The chrome guides were good for about
two casts, and then they were choked with ice. The REC Ti guides never really
had so much ice on them that I couldn't keep casting. I guess it's the thinner wire, combined (maybe) with the vibrating they're known for. All I know is
that on the same day, time, and spot, the Recoil guides didn't ice up much.

I think you have to spend some $$$ on a G. Loomis to get Recoil guides off
the rack, however.

Off-the-rack rods in Med-Fast 9' 5wt:
-St. Croix Legend Ultra (not as fast as St. Croix describes)
-St. Croix Avid
I've owned both of these rods, and would choose the Legend Ultra. It's
a smooth rod to cast, and has nice hardware. The Avid works as well, and
is also built nicely. Both rods have good sensitivity, and that's getting hard
to find lately: everyone wants a rod to cast 100 feet, and they wind up
feeling like broomsticks. A slick/clean line will shoot through regular guides
nicely, and make anything like ceramic guides un-necessary . Look
for a line that states it has a hard coating. Cortland's Lazerline comes to
mind, and it does shoot through guides very well.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Cliff,

Why do you think an oval guide would be better than a round guide? Why heavy wire? The REC RECOIL guides move all over the place but return to their original shape. I think the RECOIL thin wire would work or the saltwater weight.

Frank
Well, I'm assuming the casting/spinning rod builders don't use snake guides because the ceramic/SiC guides work better for feeding line. I'm guessing that those guides work better because the portion of the guide that contacts the line is flatter and more paralell with the line, instead of being a half circle with a very small radius.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:43 PM

Idaho Mike is on a distinguished road

The rods I'm looking at are the ZXL, Boron IIx, and G. Loomis StreamDance GLX-HLS. I've test cast the Sage and Winston. The ZXL left a very good impression. But I'm still open. I appreciate the posts, thanks!

Take Care,
MIKE
Old 05-08-2008, 10:38 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I only wiggled a 9' 5wt ZXL, but it looks like a great rod. In fact, I nearly
bought it without casting one first.

Last edited by FrankB2; 09-01-2011 at 12:37 PM.