The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2008, 07:04 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where would you fish?

You should enjoy good fishing on the Bighorn & will be able to do some wading on it's very wadeable bottom. The wife made an excellent choice.

Different subject but, if you can work it in to your itinerary, stop by the Little
Big Horn battle site near the Bighorn River. Quite close & a memorable visit.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:05 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Where would you fish?

You should enjoy good fishing on the Bighorn & will be able to do some wading on it's very wadeable bottom. The wife made an excellent choice.

Different subject but, if you can work it in to your itinerary, stop by the Little
Big Horn battle site near the Bighorn River. Quite close & a memorable visit.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:33 PM

smith950 is on a distinguished road

Thanks imxer. We will definitly stop at Little Big Horn.

Scott
Old 06-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Smith950

Sounds like a great trip you have lined up! Good luck.
Be sure to give us an update when you get back, we would love to hear about your adventure. I'd like to hear what your thoghts on the Black Hills fishing are.........I've heard they have some good fishing there but have no personal experience. The Big Horn trip should be awesome!

Larry
Old 07-05-2008, 07:06 PM

We had to cut out trip short. Last Tuesday we were turning off the road to a parking area for some pictures. The parking area dropped off more than I thought and the front of the oil pan hit the pavement and put a small crack in the lower pan cover. Our Passat sits pretty low to the ground. I stopped and noticed a small crack with a slow leak. We were able to get the car back to Rapid City and find the VW dealer and get a new oil pan shipped in. They installed the pan this morning and we will head home tomorrow morning via Denver and the Rockies. We had to cancel the trip part of the trip to Montana. We will make this trip next June. We have already booked it.

We rented a SUV and continued fishing the local creeks and lakes in the Black Hills. The guys at Dakota Angler and Outfitters have been great. We had some very good fishing on Ditch Creek above Deerfield Lake. Olive and Tan Elk Hair Caddis and Copper Johns as a dropper worked well in the afternoons. Caddis were hatching but I never seemed to get a hit on a dry fly. Deerfield Lake was good for Browns and Rainbows along the shores. We did well with Pheasant Tails and Wooly Buggers. Lauri pulled a couple of 18” browns out of the lake. Below Deerfield Lake we had okay fishing on Castle Creek. The closer we got to Rapid Creek the better the fishing got. Rapid Creek above Pactola Lake had very good fishing. Caddis, Pheasant Tails and Midge seemed to work the best. We didn’t see 5 other people fishing the whole week. A couple of days it was just Lauri and I. So this part of the trip was not a total waste.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:24 PM

The first part of the trip went well. We had a great time fishing for bass, sun fish and crappies with my fly rod. A 2-3 lb largemouth’s on a fly rod was a trip. Streamer and leech patterns worked best on the crappies and bass. I have never used sinking line before this trip. After reading through some threads on sinking line I put some Rio AquaLux Intermediate and Deep 6 on my spare spools. It took some getting used to but it worked well. Its weird seeing the line go under water. My dad’s bass boat was sure to fish from.

We fished for Sunnies a couple of mornings. 3wt rod with egg patterns, midges and leech patterns worked the best. We had close to 60 fish over 10 oz. one morning before calling it a day. Okay we spent the next hour cleaning fish.

My brothers and I had a lot of fun fishing for trout in Whitewater state park. The water was murky from all the rain. The fishing was spotty. We caught some browns and a couple of small rainbows.

The rental went back this afternoon and the car is running fine. We are leaving early tomorrow for Colorado. Not sure how much fishing we will do. We have spent more on this trip than planned, but we will see what happens.