The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 09:12 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Chile

I have a few friends going to Chile, Patagonia, next Feb & I'm thinking of going along as soon as my normal traveling buddy makes up his mind, If he ever does. I'll buy tickets when & if he does. . Anyway I'm looking for some info on what to bring, clothes. rods, flies, etc. & any other info I can get. One of the group has been there before but he's a hard man to get a hold of as he works 12 hr days. I'm thinking of this trip as a retirement present to myself for working 37 years for the same company & want to be well prepared for anything I run into
Thanks for any info
Neil
Old 08-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chile

Neil: That sounds like a great retirement present, I sure hope you have a great trip, be sure to take some photos and post a trip report! If you haven't seen Trout Bum Diaries Vol I on Patagonia, get a copy, it will make these last few months of work fly by.

Larry
Old 08-27-2010, 09:50 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

One of my friends went to Chile last spring. He fished 5 and 6 weights. He fished every category of bug (caddis, mayfly, stonefly, terrestrial, baitfish). From the driftboat, he enjoyed fishing streamers (Sculpzillas and Sex Dungeons) the most.

MP
Old 08-27-2010, 12:02 PM

bmik is on a distinguished road

I was lucky enough to fish Chile this past February (was there when the earthquake hit).
4,5 and 6 wts were the norm. You'll only need bigger if you want to target the kings. I fished only floating lines, never needed a sinking line as they seem to be always looking up.
As far as flys; bugs & beetles (they have these huge Cantaria or Stag Beetles there), EHC, Cernobyls, Stimulators. For nymphs San Juan worms, Copper Johns, Pheasant Tails, Wooly Buggers and even some beads if fishing for trout behind the spawning beds (AK style).
Basically whatever you'd fish at home but don't forget the beetles...big ones with orange in them, Stimulators with rubber legs & Chernobyls.

Some outfits supply all flies (as mine did). The weather went from sometimes the 40's in the morning to the the 80's in the afternoons...layering is the key. Make sure you've got good rain gear. We hit the weather pretty good but it will rain while you're there. The jacket can also help with the wind if it comes up.

You'll love it there. I can't wait to go back.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:38 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Neil,

Marty and I fished Northern Chilean Patagonia in the Spring of 2008.

We stayed at a lodge near Puerto Varas called Yankee Way (it's a play on words; it's located on the shores of a lake called LLanquihue, which in Chilean Spanish is pronounced roughly as Yankee Way. It's the second largest lake in Chile). We fished, primarily, the Petrohue River and its tribs; which are small freestone streams with plenty of current due to the steepness of the surrounding terrain. Once you get a little past the mouths of most of the small tribs, you start ascending at a pretty good clip.

For the tribs, like the San Antonio, a 3 wt. was plenty as the fish were plentiful, but they were smaller. All of our fishing on the tribs was walk/wade; with alot of walk.

The main river can be fished from the bank in some spots, but is best fished as a float. Here the fish are considerably bigger and we used 5 wts. for dries and 6 wts. for streamers.

If you're there when the King Salmon are running, then most of the people that we saw used spinning gear. We tried with our 6 wts.; but no takers.

We fished with guides, which I recommend if you don't know the water. Each guide had a good selection of flies that he had tied. There were, primarily, local variations of flies that you're already familiar with and that some of the other posters have mentioned. To my eyes, they were, generally, brighter than the corresponding patterns that we fish in the East.

Weather in February should be great; it's right in the middle of their Summer; the equivalent of our July, but the recommendations for layering, being prepared for early morning to mid-day temperature shifts of 40-80+ degrees and some rain (I don't think that you'll get a lot in February) are all good ones.

I hit the trout of my life just below the first set of rapids after leaving Lake Petrohue (which is the source of the River; it runs from the lake to the Pacific). Luck was definitely with me - I cast across 5 seams, hit a dead drift in a pool for about 10 seconds with dry/dropper rig and up came a 27" rainbow! I didn't want to leave - ever!

Plan to spend some time just walking around. The Andes are like nothing that we have in the US. These are young mountains, by geological standards, and when it rains hard, road wash-outs are the norm in much of Patagonia.

We were going to go down to fish Southern Patagonia last Spring; below Balmaceda (Torres Del Paine National Park region), but we had some family issue that kept us closer to home.

You'll love Patagonia and I think it's a fantastic idea for a retirement vacation. We will be going back - soon.

Pocono