The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 08:12 AM

jnadler139 is on a distinguished road
polarized sunglasses- what color lenes best for fishing ?

what color lens best for fishing ?
any comments about okuma slv fly reels ?
thanks !
j. nadler
Old 05-12-2008, 08:15 AM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough
Default Re: polarized sunglasses- what color lenes best for fishing ?

I like a light bronze or amber. Gives me better vision on cloudy days, early morning or late evening.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:56 AM

Kai is on a distinguished road

I prefer a brown/amber/copper sort of tint.

My favorite are photochromatic lenses that get darker or lighter depending on how much sun there is. It's nice to have them start out light in the early morning fog, then darken as the sun burns the fog away and starts beating down in earnest.

Myfavorite fishing glasses by far are the Action Optics "Fishbone" with "all hour brown" photochromatic lenses.

Action Optics Lens Info
Old 05-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Great question!! especially if your looking to "drop a chunk of change" on a good pair of sunglasses.

For the waters I fish most of the time (rocky or gravel bottoms) I prefer a "copper or beige" colored lens, it seems to lighten the bottom of the river and fish seem to stand out better.
My wife likes the same colors, but this year she is trying a light "rose" colored lens.

I've recently read that many people that walk the white sandy flats looking for Bones and Permit are starting to use a "light Blue" colored lens.

"Grey" colored lenses are supposed to be the worst, and let the least visible light into your eyes.

From what I understand it depends on light conditions and/or time of day, your surroundings, and eye fatigue at the end of the day.

***Remember to always wear eye protection of some kind when fishing***

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 05-12-2008, 02:33 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

I like Ocean Waves "Backwater Green"----it gives me the best contrast in the florida flats.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:53 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I just ordered a pair of Oakley Fishing Specific glasses. The lens color is blue, they call them shallow blue. The ones I've used in the past have been bronze or blue. I'll post again when the Oakleys arrive and let you know what I think. The ones I've been using for the last 10 yrs are Action Optics with a bronze lens. Been very happy with them. I order the new pair just to have a different style.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The way I have always gone with is Gray for cloudy days or off shore, Amber/Bronze for all around fishing, and Vermillion for Ocean/sandy shores.
Then there is the Orange like for Hunting glasses that really brightens things up.
I prefer GLASS lenses. They don't scratch anywhere as easy as plastic, and a good pair is very well balanced.
My choices are the Orvis Tri-Spectrum in Brown and these things are unbelievable. They transmit more of the three primary colors, which means much more definition. My other pair of choice is the HVO with the Green Mirror lens cover over a bronze.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:03 PM

Yukon Jack is on a distinguished road

I like the amber lenses, I picked up a Okuma SLV and have had it out a couple times and so far I think it is a very solid reel.

Yukon Jack
Old 05-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I will say, is it gets confusing on the colors. There is Bronze, Brown and I have even heard them called Amber.....BROWN RIGHT?! Different shades from light to dark, but still BROWN.
To me YELLOW is the shooting glasses, but some call THEM amber.
I am so confused! LOL
Old 05-12-2008, 10:39 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Yep Joni---Brown----My Ocean Waves "backwater green" are green metallic lenses and brown shading---the coatings are between 2 layers of thin glass so the coating doesnt get scratched---I went to Action Optics for one prescription change and scratched the coating right in the middle ---at the price of prescription sunglasses i went back to the Ocean Waves because of the double layer even though they cost more.