The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 10:25 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How many fish older bamboo fly rods?

He said a couple of more days.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:14 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

Regarding old, short bamboo...take a look at the South Bend 290. I've heard good things. Also, if you're interested in fishing them as opposed to collecting, a one tip rod can be a bargain. I recently bought a 7' W&M Granger Victory with only 1 tip, non original tube and bag. That rod would normally go for 900 - 1200 but I got it for way, way less than that.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
He said a couple of more days.

Let me know...you have got me soooooo interested!
Old 01-16-2009, 02:40 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I use to hav a cabelas boo that my dad bought at an auction for like 30.00 bucks, it was a 7'6" 5 wt. I loved that rod for trout and bluegill, as a young man however I thought the newer the better, so with out much life under my belt I sold it and bought a new and improved graphite. What a DUMB thing to do, the bamboo I sold was in MINT condition and a sweet little rod. I have even sold a couple nice glass rods for new and better things. Now a little older I am always watching sales and auctions for some of the "no good OLD" gear that no good being sarcastic. As MOJO told me, hind site is always better then fore site .
The only decent news is I sold that old bamboo for a hell of alot more then 30 bucks. Live and learn I guess
Bear
Old 01-16-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshort View Post
Regarding old, short bamboo...take a look at the South Bend 290. I've heard good things. Also, if you're interested in fishing them as opposed to collecting, a one tip rod can be a bargain. I recently bought a 7' W&M Granger Victory with only 1 tip, non original tube and bag. That rod would normally go for 900 - 1200 but I got it for way, way less than that.
I've never cast or even felt a 290, but i've heard is was a pretty stiff taper. Is that true?
Old 01-16-2009, 05:28 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

I don't have any personal experience but the folks on the Classic Rod Forum seem to hold the SB 290 in pretty high regard.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:32 PM

Those were the ones saying it was stiff. I'll check again.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:59 PM

yellowhammer is on a distinguished road

Hello, I am yellowhammer a new member, i also fish strictly bamboo, fly mainly but i also made three bamboo spionning rods just to see what they would turn out to br. They turned out great. But fly fishing bamboo is my love, i have around fifty or so, they all get fished sometime in the season, which runs for me 8 to 10 months a year. My favorite is an old estuis edwards rod made for the winchester arms co . cira 1940 i think no. 6035, got it a flea market for five dollars. My next favorite is a paul young midge taper which i made. a great little stream rod,then would come my granger denver special 7.6 rof i fish it a lot. All my rods that imake, the one i collect and save from the bone yard are totaly fishable. My plastic rods are now lowners, i am not aganist graphite in any way it just to each his own. As the saying goes it is what it is. thanks ireally enjoy this forum, glad i found it. Yellow hammer
Old 05-29-2009, 02:14 PM

yellowhammer is on a distinguished road

Hello Fly Richard Fly,Sure there a lot high end rods out there, but there a son egonomical one also , i am speaking in the 800 dollar to 500dollar range, and they are good one that cast really good, so you do not have to 2nd mortage your home to have good bamboo rod, plus you do not have long waiting period. four to 6 mo. There is no connection between these 2 makers money wise just friends Mr. R.L. Nunley and the Rev. Harry Boyd, their rods carry a pretty fair price, which includes low end and high end ones too. Also they are very good teachers of the art. Ozark Rod Makers School. Mt. Home Ark. You can find them By Googling the above name. thanks YellowHammer
Old 07-13-2009, 02:24 PM

overefined is on a distinguished road

I found a guy selling a 10-15 year old cabelas brand bamboo rod that has never been fished, it looks to be in excellent shape. I was wondering if anyone knows who the maker is of these cabelas rods from 15 years ago.
it is an 8 foot 6 weight two piece. I also wonder if anyone would know the value of this rod. The guy is asking 190. for it.