The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 03:14 PM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road
Default What is a "Midge"?

I was reading an article on "midging" in still water for trout and was wondering just what a "midge" is and also what a "chironimid" is and are it and a midge the same thing?
Thanks
Old 05-15-2008, 06:27 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What is a "Midge"?

This should answer everything...

Midge (insect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Old 05-15-2008, 07:04 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Since the link didnt work, its a small bug, size 16 all the way down to a size 30. that looks like a little gnat in my opinion, the ones i see are mostly black, with very little grey/white.

Around here in montana they generally are going on from about december threw april. Its the bug that hatches in the wintertime.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:55 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Everything you wanted to know, with pictures galore:

True Fly Family Chironomidae (Midges) Hatch

BTW, as noted in the troutnut website, midges are active year round. The reason folks associate midges with winter months is that during winter months midges are often the only thing active.

Adult midges are generally about the size of and look much like mosquitoes but without the biting proboscis.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:11 PM

doc will become famous soon enough

Here in Alberta, when we refer to a chironomid, we are usually referring to the pupa stage of the Midge but really a chironomid is a midge at any stage of it's life cycle. A buzzer as the English refer to it is also a midge in it's pupa form. A bloodworm is the larva stag of a midge and the adult is just called an adult. A midge looks very similar to a mosquito but without the proboscis. The chironomid hatches on pretty much any stillwater fishery and is the number one most important food source for trout. A bomber is a large chironomid pupa and can get up to an inch in length. When bombers are hatching, the trout fishing is usually cosmic. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 05-16-2008, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDog View Post
I was reading an article on "midging" in still water for trout and was wondering just what a "midge" is and also what a "chironimid" is and are it and a midge the same thing?
Thanks

Yes.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-16-2008, 09:05 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies.
I'm trying to figure out what I need to add to my basic fly selection for stillwater since I just got myself a float tube.
Thanks again,
Old 05-16-2008, 09:24 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

We have midges in Utah all year long, but the fish only really go after them in the winter time when the bigger bugs are not around. If you are a winter fisherman, try using them in the rivers in the winter. It is about the only thing around for the fish to eat

John
Old 05-16-2008, 02:36 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

Good info above^ Midges are also known as gnats. I'm not sure if all of them are semi aquatic, but a great many have larval stages that are aquatic-hence why your fly box might have dry fly midges and wet fly midges, neither of which look exactly like the insect itself of course, but as we all know it's a good enough impression to fool a fish.
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Midges can be those tiny Snow flies. A griffith Gnat is suppose to be a cluster of those little devils.

On this subject however, I always thought of a Chironomid as a PUPA stage of a DRY/ ADULT life. Never thought of a Chironomid and a MIDGE being the same. A midge will start off as a chironomid/PUPA but the end product is a MIDGE/DRY/ADULT.

I was also taught many years ago that SCUDS are THE main food source year round for Trout and Chironimids about 3/4 of the year.

I have seen Chironomids about #12 in size and down to #24.

Midge Larva would be your Brassies, Krystal Flash Midge, Disco Midges, etc (WORM LIKE OR LARVA) PUPA is Serendipity, Biot Midge Pupa, Suspender Midge (Worm like with a shuck or gills) ADULT MIDGE: CDC midge, Griffith's Gnat . As you can see, they are different.
I guess a WD40 could be a Chironomid or an emerger...Hummmm.