The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: Best Bang-for-Buck Combo
White River Fly Shop 2 8.33%
3M Scientific Anglers 2 8.33%
Temple Fork Outiftters 13 54.17%
Cabelas Three Forks 4 16.67%
Redington 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2008, 05:55 PM

pneumatic is on a distinguished road
Default Best Bang-for-Buck Fly Combo Gear

I'm new to fly fishing and was about to go purchase a nice "intermediate" package to get myself started. But after casting various packages, I'm quite impressed by the "low end" equipment and this helps out my situation of having quite the gamut of fishing (Michigan) and limited resources.

So my new plan is to grab a couple of the value "combo" packages in a couple different sizes (probably a 4wt and an 8wt) and use them for a couple of years (or indefinitely, if the extra performance of the more expensive gear never becomes apparent - I digress...).

I'm just trying to gauge opinion on such packages.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:09 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best Bang-for-Buck Fly Combo Gear

IMO none of the above ...go used...demo... ebay... st croix ...scott...sage...orvis...loomis...reels same teton...good line is a must
Old 05-19-2008, 10:37 AM

fishin' fool is on a distinguished road

My vote goes to Redington. I can say firsthand, that their customer service is excellent, and I've found their porducts to be quality. In particular, I really like their line of CPS rods and the RS4 series aren't too shabby either.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi pneumatic,

You said you had cast several outfits and you liked some lower priced ones. The number one test for buying any rod is to cast it. So you now have a basis to judge between the rods you have cast. If you pick a known rod with a good warranty you should be OK.

One thing that I would suggest is to take some casting lessons before you buy a rod. Then go back and cast those rods again and see which one matches your casting style best. Buy your 5wt first and learn to cast before you think about an 8wt. Your casting ability will improve with practice and you may want a faster action 8wt.

Frank
Old 05-27-2008, 07:49 PM

gearguy is on a distinguished road

All of the advice above is absolutely true. Let me add my two cents as well and hopefully it can help you in your quest for that perfect starter rod.

I went with a St. Croix Legend Ultra and a Reddington CD series reel(which is also great for the $). A fabulous rod and reel for the price. ST. Croix really honors their warranty for repairs and breakage. It is an all around tough rod that will not disappoint.

However, if you see yourself really getting into fly fishing, consider a sage, or a scott. I am fishing the Sage SLT, (discontinued as of recently) and I can honestly say I have seen an increase in my casting skills.

Most importantly, cast the rod yourself, ask a lot of questions, and start saving for your next rod. Good luck