The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 06:32 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Right or left

I am right handed. I think most right handed people set up the reel so it is operated by the right hand. There are other right handed people that claim it is better to operate the reel with the left hand so the rod does not have to change hands. What do some of you think on this?
Old 05-19-2008, 07:03 PM

Kai is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Right or left

I am right handed and have the reel set up for left hand retrieve. I find it easier to play the fish with my dominant hand and work the reel with my left hand.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:08 PM

adrian is on a distinguished road

I'm right handed, reel left and have never thought of changing hands, that would seem awkward, particularly if you are immediately mending line and intently studying the water/ fly.

Although I can cast with both hands(actually not so hard), I rarely do. I always want to cast and immediately be able to control the rod with my dominant and stronger hand/arm, particularly if you get a quick strike and end up engaged with a larger fish; steelhead, salmon, etc.

Try both ways and good luck.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:52 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I cast right, reel left. It just makes sense not to switch hands. Besides, my
left hand functions better than the right when reeling line in.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:10 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, appreciate the tips. I don't know why a lot of photos show what I think is the reel set for a right hand retrieve.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:04 AM

jvmorton2002 is on a distinguished road

I've got all but one of my rods set up as cast right, reel left... I'm more comfortable that way(probably from all the years of using spinning tackle) My 3wt rod is set up the other way but it doesn't matter since the reel's just a handy place to hold the line on that one(not much need for drag when dealing with panfish)
Old 05-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I casted right and reeled left for many years. As I got older I had to switch to right hand reeling to keep up with big fish. If you cast right and reel right that doesn't mean you can't mend line and use your left hand as the line hand until you are hooked up. After a hook up you get the fish on the reel and then switch to right hand winding. This is the method that a lot of saltwater fly fishers use. With Saltwater flats fishing there are a bunch of fast and long running fish. In this case I think most right handed fishers should reel with their right hand.

Frank
Old 05-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I've got some set up each way. On my lighter rods where I'm more frequently changing the amount of line I have out, I have them set up for left handed reeling so I can just keep the rod in my right hand.

On the big sticks, where I could have 80 yards off the reel and need to pick up a lot of line quicker, I want my dominant hand spinning that thing.

Moral of the story, there's better points to both ways, but do as you like.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:09 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who does the left side reel on smaller rods and the right side reel on larger ones. I thought I was being unorthodox. I learned with the reel right and switching has been seamless, but with my 2 weight, I never bothered changing the reel from the left since it didn't seem necessary. I keep the reel on the right for on my 6/7 and 8 weight rods though. I just want the speed of my right just in case.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I might be Methodist, but I think I can still be called unorthodox.

(I promise my next joke will be better)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.