The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 07:10 PM

cmdrstp is on a distinguished road
Default Knot to be, I guess.

I sometimes (ok, all the time) have a little problem fishing the loop end through on a small surgeon's knot. I use a loop-to-loop connections. is their a tool with a small hook that will help my draw the loop through? What is the best knot tying tool? I am looking at the "The Winder Knot-Tyer" by Orvis. Any experience with it? Thank you.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Knot to be, I guess.

I would just try to make bigger loops. I use perfection loops for both ends of a loop2loop connection, make the loops about the size of a sunflower seed (with shell), and it works fine for me.

The perfection loop takes a bit of practice, but I bet you'll grow to likle it best.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi cmdrstp,

The Surgeon Loop is a very strong loop but it is difficult to tie small. I only use the Surgeon Loop when fishing big fish like Salmon.

Like Cliff, I use the Perfection Loop for all Trout fishing. It is quick to tie and you can get a fairly small loop. If you want a tool to use take a look at Crochet needles. Just make sure there are no sharp edges.

Frank

Crochet Needles
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:51 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

my cousin bent a paper clip into a hook shape to help him grab the line for some of his knots and then attached that to his zipper of his fly vest for on stream knots.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi cmdrstp,

Here are three other tools that will help with tying knots. The Ty Rite Has a little hook that extends by pushing on the top. It will grab your line and pull it through the loop. This is the standard size tool and they make a smaller one also. It has a hook to hang on your vest. Also a great tool for picking up a small fly from your box and making a clinch knot.

You could also use a small Forceps to pull your loop through but you would have to use caution not to damage the line.

Frank

Ty Rite Tool

Cinch Tie Knot Tyer

Four Inch Forceps
Old 05-24-2008, 04:25 PM

cmdrstp is on a distinguished road

Thank you all! Great advice and tips. I appreciate it. I did buy a tiny crochet needle....works great. I do like the Perfection loop now too.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:00 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Great info! Talking about knots, I use the Perfection Loop for loop to loop but rather than a Improved Clinch to the fly, I use a Uni.
I use a Uni to Uni to connect the tippet, rather than a Blood or Double surgeons.
A Uni is so quick and easy to tie. I can tie one in about 5 seconds and the Uni is closest to 100% strength as a knot can get. And a Uni is small just like a Blood.
I started with braids in saltwater, and now that know replaced the Improved Clinch for me.
What do you think, Frank? Is it a good knot, or am I only kidding myself.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 05-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Hi Richard,

I like the uni-to-uni knot. I also use it a lot. When fishing in-shore I use the uni-to-uni to fasten tippets to the leader. I also use it to fasten a leader to a braided line.

Frank
Old 05-25-2008, 11:36 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Thanks, Frank,

I thought they were a strong knot, and if you also use them ......... good enough for me!

Everyone on a video or TV always uses a Improved Clinch to tie the fly to the tippet. The knots always break for me and way too much time to tie!!
And Bloods, I must be doing something wrong because they break too easy and take so long to tie. With a Uni to Uni I can leave 10" of line out and make a perfect tie and when the line is pulled the knots slip together and waste almost no line at all.
I was getting worried about all the breakoffs with thin line, 2lb test, but with the Uni's I don't break anymore.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 05-26-2008, 08:05 PM

Nooksack Mac is on a distinguished road

Pointed, squeeze-to-open tweezers aren't considered basic fly gear - why, I don't know. I use my 40-year-old one almost daily. Good for pulling mono strands through a small loop, in knot-tying; good for tying an overhand knot in pheasant fibers for legs; great for picking a hook out of a pile, for fly tying.

The double loop cinch knot, or Trilene knot, is one of the strongest tippet-to-hook knots, and the one I use mostly. Definitely stronger than the improved cinch. The line-to-line Uni knot is much stronger than the blood knot (although I'll have to see one tied in five seconds to believe it). I use it for tying tippets into a knotted leader, with blood knots for the upper connections. I no longer have to routinely replace the tippet along with a lost fly.