The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 11:52 PM

Scott is on a distinguished road
Default New Member saying hello from Oregon

This past winter I finally fulfilled a lifelong dream and escaped from New York to Oregon with my wife and infant son. I am now getting started with fly fishing and have been researching here and everywhere else I could find. I just wanted to pop on and say hello and thanks for all of the great information.

I think I am starting off on the right foot, but any additional input would be appreciated. I've found a shop in Eugene and signed up for a three day beginners class that covers casting and getting started. They seem to have a good selection of gear at reasonable prices, and give a 10% discount on everything if you take the class there. Believe it or not, I have resisted buying anything so far, and it was a good decision as the owner told me I'll get to try a lot of diffeent rods for free as part of this class.

I've budgeted about $400 to $500 for a rod and reel, and am planning on another $500 for everything else. There is a ton of great trout fishing here so I'm going to start off with a 5wt. This shop seems to showcase Sage Launch rod/reel combos. I've read good things about them and would appreciate any comments on this brand.

I'm in the Salem area, and would love to hear from or go fishing with some fellow Oregonians or those from nearby states. Are there any local fly fishing groups or clubs that get together for local Pacific Northwest angling? I'm taking this very seriously and can't wait to get started. I grew up on Long Island fishing everything from bluegill to big Stripers. I'm also very into conservation issues, and want to pass this all on to my son when he gets old enough.

Hope to see you out on the river someday.

Scott
Old 05-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: New Member saying hello from Oregon

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forum. You are doing everything right. First you move to Oregon and then you don't buy any equipment. Both things are right on target. Taking lessons before buying equipment is the very best way to go.

With your name you should take a look at Scott rods.

Frank
Old 05-20-2008, 06:35 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
This past winter I finally fulfilled a lifelong dream and escaped from New York to Oregon with my wife and infant son.
Scott.. Welcome to Oregon. I have been to Eugene twice from Medford in the last week for my daughter's High School District Tennis Tournament and Eugene is really a nice town. Just remember to stop and look up at your surroundings when you are on the river and be amazed. I was up a 6am and on the river at 8am this morning in a heavy rain with way too much flow from the dam. Not much going on, but a wonderful gorgeous morning on the river. I was back home by noon! So enjoy OR.

Jeff
Old 05-21-2008, 12:40 PM

Scott is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement guys.

Frank- I'll have to check out the Scott rods. I can tell other anglers that I'm "the Scott" and offer them discounts to show me thier favorite fishing spots

Jeff- I know what you mean. I've been loading the kid up in his baby backpack and hiking all over the place. It's so beautiful here I could sit streamside all day anyway. Figured I might as well bring a rod along....

Scott
Old 05-27-2008, 09:10 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

Greetings Scott,

welcome to the forum
Old 06-08-2008, 07:30 PM

da Bear is on a distinguished road

Beautiful state Oregon. Best on the west...in my humble opinion. You show wisdom in your choices. Look forward to reading you post. Best wishes to you and your family. Take care.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:37 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Congrats on your escape and welcome to the Forum

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-08-2008, 09:24 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

I am pretty new to the sport and have learned a lot from this forum. Hopefully you'll have a similar experience!