The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 04:55 PM

sinjin1111 is on a distinguished road
Default good lesson learnt

Some 5 months ago i ordered 2 custom rods from the US. a 5# z-axis and a 7# TCX spey to be custom made. Have spoken to the rod builder in the US on a couple of occassions about getting the rods. So after 5 months i still don't have them.
All i can say is its very dissappointing and really all i can do is wait. A little more annoying is the person still advertises the custom rods on e-bay. The major claim is that the TCX blank was very hard to get. Maybe so, but i paid for the 2 rods 5 months ago. Oh well doesn't leave a nice taste in your mouth at all.
I have been promissed i will get the rods in one weeks time. But that was similar to when i was told i would get them some 2 months ago.
This was not a cheap outlay at all and i doubt i will order from OS again for anything custom made. And to be honest this is also the only time i have ever had a bad experience buying for the US. I ordered a LOOP last year and couldn't have recived better service even if i tried.
Cheers.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:57 PM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough
Default Re: good lesson learnt

What is the name of the online vendor?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:42 PM

I'm not sure what the rules are for the forum are but if you send me a pm.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:52 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin1111 View Post
All i can say is its very dissappointing and really all i can do is wait. A little more annoying is the person still advertises the custom rods on e-bay. The major claim is that the TCX blank was very hard to get. Maybe so, but i paid for the 2 rods 5 months ago. Oh well doesn't leave a nice taste in your mouth at all.
I have been promissed i will get the rods in one weeks time. But that was similar to when i was told i would get them some 2 months ago.
Cheers.
There is something that you can do. I wouldn't hesitate to report this guy to e-Bay. Also, hopefully you paid via PayPal. PP will pull the $$ from his account until it's resolved to your satisfaction if reported within time limits (???). Report it to them too, or report it to the financial transaction company that you used. Five months is too long to wait especially after you got another round of excuses two months ago.
Let us know what happens.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:09 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Like Jimmie says, drop a dime on him to E-Bay. Before buying from someone on E-Bay check his rep...

Dan
Old 08-31-2010, 04:58 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I agree with contacting eBay about this guy. I think Paypal has a 30-or 90 day window to file a complaint, but I don't think that is the case with eBay.

And I don't think that it is a matter of you ordering from the US so much as you ordered from a schmuck. Hope everything works out for you.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 09-01-2010, 04:30 PM

Hi guys and thanks for the replies. I actually found the rod builder on e-bay but bought through his own web site after chatting on the phone a couple of times.
However i did pay for the rods through Paypal on his site.
I actually rang Dave yesterday in the US. He has been having some private issues at home and was very sorry for such a long delay and will get the rods in the mail ASAP.
Well hopefully in the next week or so i may receive something. This is also dissappointing to hear as 3 weeks ago i asked could i have them as i was going away for a couple of days to fish. i received a mail saying this would not be a problem to get them to me. After the call yesterday i realised he had totally forgotten about his mail 2 1/2 weeks ago saying i would get them.
Anyway i'll keep you informed.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin1111 View Post
Hi guys and thanks for the replies. I actually found the rod builder on e-bay but bought through his own web site after chatting on the phone a couple of times.
However i did pay for the rods through Paypal on his site.
I actually rang Dave yesterday in the US. He has been having some private issues at home and was very sorry for such a long delay and will get the rods in the mail ASAP.
Well hopefully in the next week or so i may receive something. This is also dissappointing to hear as 3 weeks ago i asked could i have them as i was going away for a couple of days to fish. i received a mail saying this would not be a problem to get them to me. After the call yesterday i realised he had totally forgotten about his mail 2 1/2 weeks ago saying i would get them.
Anyway i'll keep you informed.
Yea, private issues my arse. It's called LAZY. Shouldn't take a custom rod builder more than a week and he should have given you a lead time. Half of the scratch now and the other when it's in your hot little hands. Private issues at home notwithstanding- you deserved an email and an apology months ago.
So what's Dave's last name- just so more don't fall into the b.s. bucket. If he plies his wares on the internet, we all should know who he is.
Hope you get your rods, and next time get it from a reputable builder.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:20 PM

Latest news, i called Dave in the US last Thurs. I said Dave you were going to have the rods done 2 weeks ago so i could take them on a small trip and you said you would deliver and you didn't. Then you said you would post them last Friday and well it has been 7 days and they haven't showed up.
There comes a point when you go from being a little annoyed about being taken for a bit of a fool to somewhere where you think i must have D..head written across my forehead. If i don't get them soon i may well think of gifting them to someone close to his area (debt collector sounds good) and let them go into bat and have them. I actually paid for a sage 5# z-axis salt water fittings and a 7# sage TCX spey. With the Australian dollar exchange rate that set me back quite some money.
AS for claims i read the paypal info and found out the max number of days to lodge a complaint was 45days..So no prizes for guessing where i'm at. I also just found this thread also...i agree its 2007. But funny how the same family issues were mentioned. But it seems this thread also lead to a whole lot of others i found. i do feel quite silly for not not doing more research into the rod builder in the first place. This is the first time in many many years i have been stung and still prefer to think people are genuinely honest. Maybe the guy sees people from overseas and a soft touch that can't take much action. And as for me no chance as i left the complaint issue past the 45 days.
But as i said i will call Dave again tomorrow and then wait a week of so. Just received an e-mail 9/9/2010. I will ship a rod this week. ...Must ba standard e-mail reply he has as its the same and the previous few i received

mayflyjunky is on a distinguished road
Default Beware Custom Rod Builders
Any one thinking of buying a rod from the states should take note as I am having an awfull time with one of these rod builders from America called Dave Mcneese from Mcneese flyfishing. I purchased a Z axis from this guy last year when he was advertising on a popular auction web site. After inital correspondance he assured me I would recieve the rod in 4-6 weeks and he would mark down the price thus avoiding duty as it passed customs, no problem I thought, but after 4 months and about 50 unanswered emails i had to start proceedings against him through paypal, when I eventually got the rod it wasn't brillant. The butt section had an obstruction under the cork so the reel didnt fit too snugly and the section also was finished badly where the rod came out of the cork which left a slight clicking noise when false casting and when it arived it had no aluminum tube. I was not going to send it back to him so I made do, it was a Sage after all and at about 400 euro and was a dream to cast and play fish on. But then disaster struck I broke the tip. I contacted Sage and they said only the blank was covered as it was custom build, I contacted Dave Mcneese and he assured me again that the family problems coupled with the weather last year had left him with a back log but that was all sorted and it would take 2-3 weeks to return to me so the rod was posted off. Every one has problems I thought but guess what its now about 13 weeks and again he won't respond to emails and I don't have the protection from paypal. I have a few plans but there is a distinct possibility I have lost the rod. So if buying from the states buy from a respectable shop, pay the proper duty (about 80stg) and at least then you will not have the problems I am having. I am letting him know I have posted this thread because I would say he has other customers from the UK .

Last edited by sinjin1111; 09-09-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:04 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Sinjin, the PayPal time might be up, but I'd still contact E-Bay about this guy. Copies of your numerous E-Mails to him and any other relevant information would be copied and sent along. At the very least you would be warning others as you have here...If you see him advertising on E-Bay file a complaint against him; I would think if E-Bay ignored your information on him they might be legally liable...Any Lawyers here, what would your take on this matter be?

Dan