The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2008, 04:35 PM

870 kid is on a distinguished road
Default anybody have any experience with the Sage lifetime warranty

I bought a Sage Launch in mid march and have been practicing with it. I took it out for its first fishing trip this afternoon and got totally ransacked by a sudden storm- I was climbing a muddy and steep bank to get out of the river and a local hillbilly came cruising down on his ATV sipping a beer and I had no choice but to end up jumping to the side and then sliding down the bank....when i landed covered in mud he looked at me, said "sorry bro" and drove off.....I looked at my rod and the last 5" of my rod were hanging down by the handle of the rod (had a bass popper fly in the little loop that holds your fly in place).......I could cry- i bought it from a top notch fly shop that handled all warranty registration and told me that if I ever broke it to bring the rod back to them and they'd handle shipping it.

Will Sage honor the warranty- i'm a bit confused by the wording of the warranty- do you think they'll just slap a guide on the end of it and my 9' rod will now be a 8' 7" rod, and if they do that will it have the same feel? Or is their a chance they'll replace it.

I am very unhappy at my fortune- 1st time on the water and got absolutely crapped on by mother nature and then the beverly hillbilly ATV parade
Old 05-25-2008, 08:11 PM

CzechNymph is on a distinguished road
Default Re: anybody have any experience with the Sage lifetime warranty

I sent my 6wt DS2 in after I broke it fighting a summer run steelhead. I broke the tip and they sent me my rod back with a different tip. I can't remember how much the fee was but it was reasonable.
I don't think they will just "shorten" your rod. You will probably get the broken section replaced.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:39 AM

Took it in to the fly shop (McLellan's Flyshop :: fly fishing for trophy trout on Arkansas' White River and beyond) and they filled out a Sage Repair sheet and are taking care of sending it back, Guy running the store today told me that Sage will most likely replace the entire top half of the rod (its a 2 pc. rod). If that is what goes down then I will probably always be a Sage guy
Old 05-26-2008, 12:28 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

I broke my Launch on the 2nd rod from the butt. I was told, from Sage, to send back the entire rod and they would inspect. 3 to 4 weeks later my rod came back with the broken section replaced. I was invoiced for $40 S&H. A lot of rod builders now have a lifetime warrenty, I love my Sage gear, but now will buy gear made in the USA.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:43 PM

sage is made in america...
Old 05-27-2008, 12:53 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

My experience with Sage is limited to a broken tip from "slapping" the water as I lost my balance and they sent me a whole new upper section. Needless to say I continue to buy Sage rods.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:50 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I have had excellent service from thier repair department and if you call them you will actually talk to a person. I had one issue when they repaired a rod and it did not fix the problem so they paid all shipping cost and sent me a loaner rod to use until mine was fixed. This is why i use all sage rods and see no reason to change. Call them and they will tell you what to do 888-848-7243 I believe they are now charging a $50 fee to cover shipping
Jim
Old 05-29-2008, 10:57 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 870 kid View Post
I have some Sage gear(reels, cases etc...) with stickers "Made in Korea." Anyone know about the rods?
Old 05-30-2008, 03:06 PM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
They *used* to be all made in America, as was Winston. Now both companies have lower end products that are made overseas, the higher end products (zxl, z-axis, boron series from Winston) are made in the US, the low end (Launch, FLI, Ibis from winston) are made overseas, probably in Korea which is a little bit better than being made in China. Some of Sage's low end reels are probably made in Korea as well.

If you buy the top of the line from either company you can be assured it is made in America.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:25 PM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Will Sage honor the warranty- i'm a bit confused by the wording of the warranty- do you think they'll just slap a guide on the end of it and my 9' rod will now be a 8' 7" rod, and if they do that will it have the same feel? Or is their a chance they'll replace it.

I am very unhappy at my fortune- 1st time on the water and got absolutely crapped on by mother nature and then the beverly hillbilly ATV parade
Any name brand company would return a rod to you that is as good as new. That is awesome service form your fly shop for paying the shipping cost!
As far as warranty's go, I am not a big fan of Sage. They rebuild your rod. If you have a older rod, say a xp, and dont like the z-axis which replaces it, then you would like the warranty.

But my Sage broke at the butt, and it took me over a month to get it back. They will rebuild the whole section. A company in the US, with rods completely made in Korea, for me is tied for first in customer service. Since their high end rods only cost them about $30, they can (and DO) simply send you a new rod if your rod is broken (unless it is a simple fix). TFO will get your rod out to you usually the same day they get it or the next day, for $25. I have even attached a note before saying "could you send me a X weight instead of this weight?" and they have!!

The other company that is tied for first is G-Loomis. They have a program that for $65 (sage's warranty is now $50) you call them up, give them your credit card number, and they 2nd day air out a brand new rod. You then put your broken rod in the box that your new rod comes in and the postage is paid. Since %99 of fly shops wont pay the cost to send your rod back, and charge $10 - $15 to do this, you figure that the G-Loomis warranty is only $0 to $5 more than Sage.

Plus Sage is located on a Island, and unless you are in Seattle it will take a heck of a long time to get to them! To get from the Ca/or border to Brisbane Island take about as long as it takes to get to the east coast!! (about 5 days).
So lets assume you 2 day air your rod to Sage, by the time they get it you would have a brand new, shrinkwrapped rod from G-loomis for about the cost of using regular mail. Then you are going to have to wait for Sage to rebuild the entire rod section, which in my case took 15 days for the butt section, plus some additional days of wait because their repair people were working on rods before me, then 5 days (approximately) to get to them and another 5 to get back. From send to receive it was probably a month and a half wait.

Of course for the few that have a older rod that they really love this is a godsend to them. What Sage SHOULD DO is offer you the choice of a rebuild or new rod.