The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 08:21 PM

cmdrstp is on a distinguished road
Default Snagged with choices!

Before I get crucified for asking THIS question on this site....Please understand that I truly appreciate the expertise on this site. What is a good ultralight spinning reel (2-6lb test)? I was looking at the Pflueger President ultralight. I also was looking at what US Reel offers (also, looking for a step above ultralight, too). I would like to stick with an American produced product. And, I would like one made with quality components (aluminum over some cheap "composite") Would I be wrong with these two choices? Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Snagged with choices!

ummmmmmmm...forget US Reel. Made in China.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hello cmdrstp,
While I don't think you will get 'crucified' for asking the question on this forum, I'm not too sure that you will get very many helpful responses.

You would probably be better off asking a retailer like 'Cabellas' or 'Sportsmans Warehouse', or even another forum directed more towards 'Spin fishing' (theres' gotta be some out there).

Sorry I cannot offer you anymore than this, good luck.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-27-2008, 08:24 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

My two (2) ultralight outfits are St. Croix 7ft. (one is a 2-piece and the other is a custom made single piece). The two-piece is a Premier.

The reels I have are Daiwa 1000Xi and a Mitchell 300x. I prefer the Mitchell as it has a more "put together" feel to it.

I caught a 4.5lb rainbow this past spring on the one-piece/Mitchell combo. That was alot of fun. That fish fought for 20 minutes. I'd get him close enough to net and he would actually stop for a second, look at me getting closer, and take off again. He survived the ordeal. I released him.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi cmdrstp,

The Daiwa Regal XIA is a very good reel for the money. I am not sure it has a metal body. Look at the 1500 model.

Even better would be the Daiwa Exceler. It has a metal body. It is $20 more than the Regal. Again look at the 1500.

Please keep in mind that this is a fly fishing forum and spinning reel questions are off topic.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:26 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

That's the model I have (I could not remember the exact model). I got the 1000 as it's light and a good pair with an ultralight rod. Although I got mine from Bass Pro as it's last year's model (1000Xi). the XiA was just coming out, probably explains why it was cheap enough ($30 with extra spool included).

I would look into the Mitchell, though. I had to look it up, but I have the Avocent II model. Again, last years model. Very well put together.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:53 PM

gearguy is on a distinguished road

I was suggested the Pflueger Presidental and DANG its a good reel for the price. I can fish that year round, ice, snow, rain, anything. That is an awesome reel. Let us know what you get.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

cmdrstp, I stand corrected.....

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-28-2008, 07:25 PM

Thank you everyone. I picked up the Pflueger President Ultralight (model 6720) spinning reel ($60) and a St. Croix Premier Ultra Light spinning rod (4'6"/ultra light power/medium action) ($70). I lined it with Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon (clear/2lb.test). UTOPIA! Perfect feel all around. 18" brown and 15" walleye are the big takes so far. It's amazing how good gear lets you feel everything you have been missing....like subtle takes and structure. Felt like I had a sonar in hand. The reel is solid and smooth. I'm sure there is much better stuff out there, but my wallet has limits. And, I'm happy with this setup.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:54 AM

gearguy is on a distinguished road

You will not be disappointed with that set up. Price wise it is the best. Good work.