The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 08:11 PM

Crunchbird is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bargain Waders

Interesting to hear about the orvis. I have had to patch my proguides in two spots already with aquasea, the neoprene gaiter is ripped and the tape is coming off the stocking foot. Perhaps I just got a bad pair. I am intrigued by their new boot foot -- the boots are not your traditional molded boot, but much more like a stockingfoot boot. Anyway, I still think the Sims and other brands stand out these days more so than the Orvis.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

In the $100 range, I've heard the best about LL Bean's version.

I'm still trying to wear out a pair of Simms Guides, but if I was after a bargain replacement, I'd probably order the Beans.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:41 PM

BMRisko is on a distinguished road

I just got a pair of the LL Bean Emerger Waders w/ felt-bottom boots attached and I have to say that I am very impressed with these. I really don't have any experience with other waders to compare these to (they are my first pair as I'm just getting into the sport), but initial thoughts are that these will last me awhile and you can't beat the lifetime warranty. The real test will be once I get in the water. I paid $159 for the boot version. I think the non-boot version is $99 and there are always codes floating around for free shipping.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:14 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I bought a backup pair of breathables from BPS that MSRPed to $140 and on sale for $79. Good deals to be found out there.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:52 AM

RobDutk is on a distinguished road

Has anyone ever owned Caddis waiters? Are they decnet?

Caddis Breathable Chest Waders-Men's - Dick's Sporting GoodsThese look line and country of origin is the good ole USA.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:32 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

I'm looking to buy a pair of waders, which is better to get hip waders or chest waders.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:45 AM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

Personally, if I were to get hip-waders, I would go with waist high, not the long boot style waders, but others with more experience should chime in here. I have chest waders that I plan to roll down and use as waist high when I can. If the water is so low and warm enough that I can go without waders, I do that instead. The hip waders (long boot style), scare me a bit, b/c I fear stepping too deeply into a hole and sinking, even though you might think that you will use them in very shallow waters only- you never know about that hole. Just my $.02
Old 06-09-2008, 06:46 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Thank You for that tip, I think I will go with the chest waders
Old 06-09-2008, 09:34 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher45 View Post
Thank You for that tip, I think I will go with the chest waders
Like Jose alluded to, a lot of chest-high waders are designed to roll down to waist-high, converting their shoulder straps to some sort of waistbelt (in addition to the safety waist belt that comes with them). This is pretty much how I use mine - it's a lot cooler when rolled down, although not as cool as hip waders (which can get a lot cooler all of a sudden when you misjudge the depth ).
Old 06-10-2008, 11:27 AM

Any particular type that would be good to roll down? Some don't look like they roll down very well.