The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 06:45 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Bargain Waders

Go'in north to my fly fishing roots...little manistee next week...dusting off the bamboo...but need wadders...don't care bout cold water temp wear my silks/waterffowl ...
what's the best bargains have seen closet outs on internet dan bailey and simms 70-120??...what about private brands...gander mountain....bass pro..cabelas??
Old 05-27-2008, 07:20 AM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bargain Waders

This may raise some ire, but IMO your best bet is Gander Moutain or Bass Pro. Bought mine from Gander Mountain, Kept the box and reciept. After about 18 months got a leak walked in and exchanged them without any hassle. Two seasons later the new pair started leaking on the seam..........walked in exchanged them, no questions asked.

Second season with these and fine so far..........long story short, 6 years had to buy one pair of waders.................odds are even the "Name Brand" waders that cost three times as much won't last more then 3 or 4 seasons.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:42 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Check Cabelas out also.

When I purchased my first pair of waders about 4-5 years ago I kept watch on their website & found that they had a closeout on end of the year models at the store closest to me. I went to the store & found a brand new pair of their Dry Plus waders, $139.95 normally, picked them up for $25. :-)

Try doing some research on the net. I've found numerous items similar at a real bargin price.

Tie One On--------------------------<*))))))><
Fisher of Men
Old 05-29-2008, 03:00 AM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
Go'in north to my fly fishing roots...little manistee next week...dusting off the bamboo...but need wadders...don't care bout cold water temp wear my silks/waterffowl ...
what's the best bargains have seen closet outs on internet dan bailey and simms 70-120??...what about private brands...gander mountain....bass pro..cabelas??
I think the hands down choice is a tie, Dan Baileys bare bones or Hendrix waders.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:07 AM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
I think the hands down choice is a tie, Dan Baileys bare bones or Hendrix waders.

As far as closeouts, the hands down winner is Cloudveil Crystal creeks for $168, regular msrp $345. These are gor tex waders, light weight. At that price, a gore tex wader from a quality company like CLoudveil that has a better warranty than simms is the way to go.

In general, I would say go with the Hendrix or Dan Baileys at just over $100
Old 05-29-2008, 08:35 AM

ducktrooper is on a distinguished road

I borrowed some Dan Bailey's barebones recently and loved them. Great fit and quality for the $$. Also, I bought Columbia Steelheads on clearance with Cabelas for $99 and they've been fantastic. Plus, Cabelas' return/repair policy can't be beat. I've returned duck hunting waders after 3 years of heavy use that developed pin hole leaks and they replaced them.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:35 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Time to go... bought Gander Mountan...bought the NR Michigan license...we're goin north 'morrow morning...the little manistee
Old 06-02-2008, 07:54 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

Anyone know anything about Froggs Toggs Canyon Breathable Stocking Foot Chest Waders? They are about $100.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:34 PM

Crunchbird is on a distinguished road

I have always had luck with picking up closeouts on Sierra Outdoors. Waders - Save 35-70% on Famous Name Brands

The old Orvis waders were expensive but decent, their new stuff is not nearly as reliable and not worth the price.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:29 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchbird View Post
The old Orvis waders were expensive but decent, their new stuff is not nearly as reliable and not worth the price.
I have over 100 days on my orvis proguides with only 1 patch job.... They are the most reliable wader i have ever owned.

I am pretty hard on them too, I just push my way through the thickest of brush, and have poked them a couple times jumping barbwire fences, none of those factors is actually what caused the leak though. It just wore out at the inside seam, after alot of heavy use. It was easy to fix though.