The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 08:17 PM

gearguy is on a distinguished road
Default What I wish I knew before I spent the money...

Ok ok ok. I don't want this to be too negative, but there must be some item you just wish you never spent (invested) the money on. Whether its a rod, boots, waders, packs, lines, etc you get the idea. I know there are quit a few who are new to the sport of Fly Fishing, I think this post can be helpful to them and even the seasoned angler.

My "Wish I never" item is the Simms Dry Creek hip pack. You have to have 3 hands to open the zipper. You already have a rod in your hand, and you need 2 hands to open it. Its poorly designed, overpriced and yes its my fault for buying it, I should have tried it on before I bought it.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:11 PM

plland is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What I wish I knew before I spent the money...

A 2 piece rod that I got on sale from an online company. I won't mention the model or manufacturer because the rod itself was good. It's just that carrying around a 4.5' aluminum tube, even if it's just in my car, from my car to the stream, whatever.. let's just say it's not for me. I eventually sold the rod to buy a 4 piece one. After all was said and done (I sold the rod on ebay, but had already sent in the warranty card so the final sale price was below what I'd hoped it would be and ebay/paypal fee-gouging took its toll too), and I'd bought a 4 piece rod from the same sale, I realized that I'd essentially paid full price for the rod. Still, not a bad deal. I got a nice fly rod and a lesson learned for not a cent over MSRP, haha.

If anyone who is relatively new to flyfishing is considering a nice fly rod, but wants to buy the 2 piece model just to save a few bucks, I'd advise to go to a hardware store and buy some PVC pipe, cut it to 4.5' in length and imagine dealing with something that long each time you want to go flyfishing. For some people, it's won't be a problem, but still, it's good to be sure.
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:16 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by plland View Post
It's just that carrying around a 4.5' aluminum tube, even if it's just in my car, from my car to the stream, whatever.. let's just say it's not for me.
Why do you carry a aluminum tube? I always put the 2 piece rod in the backseat of my car and I'm ready to go.
If I don't want to take the rod on a plane, then a 2 piece is the best....... by far!! Less weight, always rigged, and way better action.
If you have any more high quality 2 piece rods, please send me a PM and I will take them off your hands!

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 05-28-2008, 12:43 AM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough

Fancy Metal fly box with individual boxes that have little latches that pop open. A little container for each fly...............was real expensive and I like the cheap plastic ones with foam ridges better
Old 05-28-2008, 09:47 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Any rod that i didnt cast before buying -whether it was by recommendation by a friend or online. It really narrows your field to store that will let you cast before you buy. I wont even buy a rod LIKE the one that i cast.

I bought a boron Fenwick blank (expensive) and built the rod and found that i should have bought the other one---it was not going to be right for me and i sold it and bought my friends rods that i liked so much.

Orvis replaced a broken obsolete rod with a rod that i never liked.

I just make it a policy NEVER to buy on someones recommendation, the company's reputation or a blank that i cant return after taping the guides on and casting with it.

Also there are even good rods and not so good rods within a production run so just because someone like thier rod, the one you buy might not work as well. (or maybe better)----caveat emptor!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:32 PM

cmdrstp is on a distinguished road

Do girlfriends count?!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:43 PM

I used to think buying cheap wader would save me money. Not only being heavy, clammy, and having the fit & feel of a thrift store burlap sack, I went through 'em like kleenex. They were Hefty bags with shoulder straps! I could have bought a couple of good ones (Simms) with all that wasted money! Live and learn, right?!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:02 PM

There is nothing more disappointing than bad gear...except realizing I'm the only one to blame for my "logical" choices. I won't even talk about vest accessories! Anyone need a line clipper made of fossilized woolly mammoth tusk?! My wallet flinches like a red headed stepchild everytime I walk into a fly shop! I need help...and, stronger medication.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:26 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Great topic! One of many such for me was a 100 oz. hydration bladder for my fishing vest. You'd need to be wading in the Sahara Desert to need that much water, and in the meantime that much weight on your back pulls the front of your vest up to your chin. Learned my lesson, took the loss, and bought a 35 oz, which works fine without the weight problem.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:01 AM

gearguy is on a distinguished road

This is turning to be a good thread. I agree with the angler that posted the fancy fly boxes with the spring loaded doors. In fact I have donated about 10 flies to the fish gods just on accidental deployments. I open the box and, boom, it launches open and will actually throw flies out. I don't use it anymore.