The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 01:12 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Airplane travel and your rod...

I just flew United a couple weeks ago and a brought a Sage double tube rod holder with a 9.5 ft 8 wt. I was very nervous about checking it because of it's size but it came through ok. I would definitely reccommend carry on if it's small enough though.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:50 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I also travel a lot (too much, sometimes!) and carry-on rods have never been a problem for me on Continental, USAir, British Air, Air France and Japan Airlines (JAL). So, that's a pretty good sampling of the major carriers; both domestic and international.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:03 AM

A. Blair is on a distinguished road
Re: Airplane travel and your rod...

Amazing!!!!
I cannot believe all the good experiences with fly rods on aircraft. Mine is just the opposite. My aluminum cased rod was confiscated when an arrogant security checker claimed it "looked menacing" and took it. I was threatened with arrest by an equally arrogant police officer when I objected and wanted it back . I also had called the airline to check if it was permissable to carry it on the plane and was told it was just fine. However, no one from the airline would help me get it back. They all played dumb. I was lucky that I knew an executive in that airport administration who came and retrieved it for me. I demanded my money back for my ticket and drove to Montana which I shall do from now on. It's not worth the increase in blood pressure.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I think one of the best rod carry on is this Fishpond Voyager. It comes in two sizes but I like the small one that accepts 33" rod pieces. You can carry 3 or 4 rods depending on the diameter of the rod tubes. I would carry my rods, reels, spare spools and some leaders but no flies unless you are willing to get them confiscated. This is a out-of-site out-of-mind carrier. You don't have aluminum tubes exposed and it fits in most overhead racks. If your luggage is lost in flight you would still be able to fish.

Frank

Fishpond Voyager
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:21 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I've never had an issue with flies either. I always have at least one stuck in my hat and I've been on a few flights and through security and had them comment on how cool they were. Never had one taken away.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:35 AM

gregorykicks is on a distinguished road

Well, the plane ride was quite uneventful thankfully. No one said anything at anytime about carrying my rod.

Sadly, I went to go fishing on Wed, and my guide said that the water was way too high right now, like 3x more than normal. He said he fished 8 hours on Sunday at the spot he wanted to take me to and caught 2 fish. He said he'd be willing to take me out, but said we'd likely be stuck fishing a hole that someone just stepped out of, and that on Sunday he could see fish, but they were all hunkered down conserving energy and weren't biting. He offered my deposit back and everything, which was more than I expected. He also gave me an opportunity to ride four-wheelers for way less than the ride cost, which was nice.

He said if I come back in September he could take me to a private stretch of the Arkansas river where a bad day would be 10-12 fish in 4hrs. Anywho, this guy knew his stuff and was a super guy, and said he was excited about getting to take someone out who knew what he was doing.

Here's his website if anyone is interested. I know If I get to come back I'll use this guy. Rocky Mtn Trout Hunters
Old 06-06-2008, 02:59 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi to all,

I think one of the best rod carry on is this Fishpond Voyager. It comes in two sizes but I like the small one that accepts 33" rod pieces. You can carry 3 or 4 rods depending on the diameter of the rod tubes. I would carry my rods, reels, spare spools and some leaders but no flies unless you are willing to get them confiscated. This is a out-of-site out-of-mind carrier. You don't have aluminum tubes exposed and it fits in most overhead racks. If your luggage is lost in flight you would still be able to fish.

Frank

Fishpond Voyager
Click the image to open in full size.
Frank,

That's exactly what I use; the bottom one of the two bags in your picture. Perfect, I think, for 3 rods. When my wife and I travel to fish we both carry one of them; two rods/bag. Easy to carry, light and protective. I use it as a carry-on and, again, have never had any problems with airport security. It goes through the scanners just fine. No one has even asked me to open up the bag or the rod tubes. Perhaps that's just luck, but it seems to be pretty consistent in my case.

Im still struggling with the comment from ABlair, but perhaps the "covering" of the bag is less visibly threatening than an open aluminum tube. Admittedly, it's expensive camouflage, but it works for me for carry-on, which is how I want to travel with my rods whenever possible.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:04 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I just got back last Saturday from 10 days in Colorado as well. I brought 3 rods, all of them 4-5 pc. No hassles this time, not even from that TSA NAZI in NOLA that delayed me last March. I've had luggage go AWOL for 3 days before at O'Haire and ENOLA so the only rod in there was my cheapest one. The Sage and Winston came as carry on in my Orvis Fishing Daypack along with my fly boxes, reels, vitamins, trip itinerary, fishing jacket and a few sundries. The wading staff(controversial), landing net, wading boots, etc. went into my big duffel. Flying into Wyoming last year, I brought my 2 piece 9' Sage with no problems coming and going but it had to sit up front out of sight. Between my 3-5wts, I'm covered for trout.
As far as fishing goes, I also found highwater and speaking to 3 different flyshops/outfitters, only one sounded optimistic. I fished the Eagle for 3 days and found it slow but productive enough to be memorable. Memorable in that I caught mostly bigger browns, a serendipitous alternate to the ubiquitous bows I usually get. I flew United back nonstop and found they did not have a station to Xray your backs then lock. The checkins just went down the conveyor to TSA. Other airlines weigh, tag, and direct you to a nearby Xray machine where you can hang to unlock your bags. Needless to say they cut the lock off my golf bag but not the duffel. Nothing lost or broken but the convenience of 4 and 5 pc rods beats the double sticks any day. Hope you had fun. I had great 50-70degree sunny days the entire time, except of course the one day on the golf course when it blew.
Sorry this got long winded but I hope it helps anyway...
Racine