The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2008, 09:59 PM

gregorykicks is on a distinguished road
Default Airplane travel and your rod...

I'm heading to Colorado Saturday with my family and will be fishing one day. I have a 4-piece rod, but it's still kinda big for a suitcase. What do you suggest? Carry-on or check? I can get a cardboard tube to wrap the case in for stickers and such.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Airplane travel and your rod...

Safest option: ship it via FedEx. The FedEx "Tube" (actually triangular) with easily accept a 4 pc rod, and the tube is free. 2day is MUCH cheaper than overnight, 3day air cheaper still. (AKA "Express Saver")

Next safest, carry it on. I doubt you'll have any trouble carrying it on board, but its been a good while since I've flown with one.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:38 AM

gearguy is on a distinguished road

carry it. I wouldn't let it leave my sight.
Line: Scientific Angler Mastery Series

gearguy
Old 05-29-2008, 04:08 AM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough

In the UK i know we have problems on domestic flights, they consider a fishing rod could be used as a weapon, fishing fly line can be used to tie people up and hooks are considered a sharp object!
But still at the end of the day safety is paramount.
I have always managed to get my 4pc in a suitcase when i fly to the states, i suggest you buy a bigger case.
The only worry i have is unpacking my case at the destination to find the Sage missing from the case!
Richard
Old 05-29-2008, 04:51 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely suggest that you hand carry it on the plane with you. Checking a single 4 piece rod; unless you "crate" it, is just asking for trouble. I do a lot of flying and the handling that luggage gets; at the hands of those who load and unload planes; is rough, at best. I'd buy an aluminum rod tube at your local fly shop (not expensive) and simply carry it with the rod through security. I recently carried 3 rods to the Yucatan in tubes inside a Fishpond rod bag and had no problems; same thing last Fall going to the Paradise Valley in Montana. I'll be headed to Chilean Patagonia next February and you can bet that I will definitely be hand carrying my rods.

Another alternative is to get luggage that has space for your rods. Most of the major gear suppliers make them. Again, in this category, I like the Fishpond luggage; the 35" roller bag holds an absolute ton of fishing gear. I consider them to be second best to hand carry and way, way ahead of checking a single 4 piece rod.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2008, 06:10 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

My first choice is to ship it ahead by UPS or FedEx. 2nd choice is just to take 4 pc rods and put the rod tubes in the middle of my large clothing duffle. I can fit 3 rods in there and they are cushioned by the clothing. I carry my camera and reels.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:59 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

I really haven't done a lot of exotic fly fishing trips but the question raises an interesing point as far as rods, waders, equipment, etc. What do most of you do who take comercial airlines to areas to fly fish( Colorado, Alaska, Labrador, etc)? Ship ahead of schedule, something else? Thanks.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:40 AM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
I really haven't done a lot of exotic fly fishing trips but the question raises an interesing point as far as rods, waders, equipment, etc. What do most of you do who take comercial airlines to areas to fly fish( Colorado, Alaska, Labrador, etc)? Ship ahead of schedule, something else? Thanks.
I travel quite a bit for business. I have a wheeled duffel bag that is my fishing gear bag which travels with me on virtually every business trip. The duffel holds 3-4 rod tubes, reels, 1-2 pairs of wading boots, 1-2 pairs of waders, vest(s), tippet spools, fly cases, tools, etc., and still comes in just under the standard 50# baggage limit.

When I first started doing this (fly gear on nearly all business trips) I would carryon my fly rod(s), but I quickly discovered that it was nothing but a hassle, and that it was much easier to simply check the entire mess. My fly rods live in the typical cloth covered plastic tubes which have never had a problem with the baggage handlers. The only issue I had was one flight when the duffel went missing for 2-3 days. I had taken pictures of all the gear and I started a spreadsheet to determine the replacement value--the total quickly topped $3k. The bag returned so I never determined the airlines' response to a >$3k missing baggage claim, but it was a concern.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:19 PM

gregorykicks is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all your suggestions! I've read on Southwest.com and it says I can carry it on, so that's what I'll do.
I'm going fishing 1/2 day on Wed (4hrs on water) so I hope to bring back some pictures for you guys.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:57 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Gregorykicks, you've probably already left on your trip, but for others who may be interested, I have carried on Southwest a double rod-reel case big enough to hold a four-piece ten-footer and had absolutely no problem. This was so even when I was also carrying on a rather large (for carry-on) duffel bag.

My wife & I are taking Delta to Wyoming in September, and I'd be curious if anyone has had any experiences carrying on flyrods with them. Checking their "Special Baggage" rules seems to indicate it's okay, but it's not clear if the reference refers to carry-on baggage as well as checked. Would hate to check my Sage rods and arrive without them, the whole purpose of the trip.