The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 10:11 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How hardcore are you?

Fishing is LIFE! I'm a mediocre fisherman but I've found myself fishing in 90+ degree humid days to 40+degree mornings in snow. I feel alive when I get that uncomfortable. I'm redeemed when I start catching and fighting. I don't think it is a frequent choice albeit perenial nevertheless. I will fish as long as I have water, food and some warm drink to replenish. Only the darkness or dampness drive me in.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:44 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by racine View Post
Only the darkness or dampness drive me in.
Are you kidding? In the hot months the after dark is the only time to catch.
The surf striper fishermen know this. Most of the great anglers only go out after dark!
I'm so "hard core" that I take my flyrod out in the pitch black dark, by myself, and cast a tiny size 8 black woolybugger in a gigantic river! Some would be afraid to drown, but fishing is what I do, if I expire while fishing..... what a way to go!
Lot's of fun. I remember the bats that try to grab a streamer on the backcast. I've seen hellgramites hatch and transform into huge bat-like bugs and fly around me.
My hero "Frank Daignault" who only flyfishes for striped bass at night from the surf said:
"Warning: If you are afraid of the dark, buy a boat and some sunscreen"
That sums it up for me,
check out his book "Fly Fishing the Striper Surf"

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 06-08-2008, 01:02 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I am hard freakin core when it comes to fly fishing! I watch fishing shows all day when I can. tie flies and leaders, get out as much as possible, fish no matter the temps and even sleep and dream of fishing at night at least 5 times a week. I am a member of 7 forums including Great Lakes Fishing Forum which I co-own. also I talk about fly fishing so much I drive my gf crazy about it so bad she dreads talking about it and won't even try it once.even my mom knows what a nymph is.... guess I am addicted to it like drugs....

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:34 PM

da Bear is on a distinguished road

I catch myself wondering why I am replying to this as I write. Am I being classified by my answer to the questions? Is this guys ego in overdrive? Is he trying to impress someone by his "arsenal"? If I fish a certian number of days per week will I fit into his approval rating? Hmmmmmmmmm...
Whatever the reasons for this topic, its none of my buisness what he thinks of me, positive or negative. My happiness and value of myself does not depend on his opinion. I'm very happy in the fact that I'm disabled and still manage to fish 3-4 days a week. That I catch not only trout, but smallmouth bass, redeyes (rock bass), bream (which I clean and eat like a kid and a bag of popcorn), and any other of a varied assortment of fish from my local waters. Fuel prices hinder me from traveling very far, as I'm sure they do many others who would if they could. So, am I hardcore? I don't know, and I don't really give a !@#$. I just love what I do, and do what I love. Take care.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:48 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

If I lived by the coast I might be fishing at night too as that is the time to fish. It's also the time the members at the top of the food chain feed in 3 ft of water so be aware of this.
I thought it interesting that bats would hover nearby and swoop at my fly when I was casting. I caught a turtle last year on a dry and I'm really not interested in hooking a bat or getting west nile either.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:40 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by racine View Post
If I lived by the coast I might be fishing at night too as that is the time to fish. It's also the time the members at the top of the food chain feed in 3 ft of water so be aware of this.
I thought it interesting that bats would hover nearby and swoop at my fly when I was casting. I caught a turtle last year on a dry and I'm really not interested in hooking a bat or getting west nile either.
Bats are neat. They are great bug hunters after dark....... you'll have to catch one!! They don't put up a fight though, like a hooked seagull, they just fall to the water and get their wings wet. I can easily let the bats go by removing the hook with my forceps. I haven't hooked a vampire bat yet........ if I do, I will put a wooden stake in his heart!
West Nile is carried by mosquitoes. They are "thick as thieves" in NJ, but I fish freshwater in central PA...... no bloodsuckers here, only a white Miller hatch every night!!
As for the 3' of saltwater thing, correct, the stripers, blues, weaks, and flounder swim in 3' of water at the first wave when the sun goes down. Big sharks don't come that close to the shore. Upstream, way upstream, above Canada the big sharks feed on the seals, but no seals in the polluted warm NJ waters.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 06-11-2008, 08:49 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

Kinda.....Sorta....Maybe...

Sprained my ankle bad one trip to the salt.....Fly Fishing from crutches is not as difficult as one would imagine....
Click the image to open in full size.

By snowshoe and x-country ski

The station....
Old 06-11-2008, 11:43 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

i've been chased off the stream by bats a few times. when they get really flying around hitting my flyline & fly or last minute swerving to avoid me it's time to leave. I heard a story about a guy that was fishing late & picked up someting on his line. when he pulled it in he thought he had some debris or weeds on his fly & didn'd ck it out first & just grabbed it & it turned out to be a bat which bit him & he had to go thru the Rabies shot series which I understand is very painful.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:50 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

maybe I am not as hardcore as I thought. I had my new custom 7wt and the new flies I got from the fly swap and was gonna try them out for bass. well when I got there somehow the southern ohio rain made its way north to the mouth of the vermilion river and lake erie. last night rivers at low at 86 flow today its a flood of 680 and still rising! and it didn't even rain up here that much. well instead of risk my life to try out the rod and flies I just turned around and headed home. what a waste of gas and time. guess my harcore status might have went out the window maybe I should of tethered myself to a tree and waded out anyways! haha jk... heres what I seen when I got there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV30789.JPG (80.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg SNV30787.JPG (79.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg SNV30783.JPG (80.9 KB, 2 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi GeorgeMcFly,

It looks like you could walk on it. I am looking forward to your report on the new 7wt.

Frank