The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 05:17 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: How hardcore are you?

keep ya posted frank. as soon as the river gets low I will be out there.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:58 PM

gearguy is on a distinguished road

FlyGal, you are hardcore. Way to go. I like the pics.
Line: Scientific Angler Mastery Series

gearguy
Old 06-12-2008, 10:26 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

"...As for the 3' of saltwater thing, correct, the stripers, blues, weaks, and flounder swim in 3' of water at the first wave when the sun goes down. Big sharks don't come that close to the shore..."

I guess you haven't seen the overhead/helo videos off the shores of the gulf and California eh? More sharks than you see from sea level. I guess if you don't bleed your fine...
Old 06-12-2008, 11:33 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never described myself as hardcore about anything, even when cycling
5,000 miles/year. I do take advantage whenever possible, and carry FF'ing
gear when making car trips over 10 miles (you never know!). This past
winter was the first time I fished in temps cold enough to form ice on the
rod's guides. I loved it !
Old 06-13-2008, 05:20 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

This sport makes it so easy to become obsessive about fly fishing...

Funny, but some of the best BWO hatches I have experienced come off during snow storms...
Old 06-13-2008, 11:00 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

I guess I can be spastic about my fishing. Some months I may get out 8 or 10 times, while other months it may only be 2 or 3 times; but I've made an absolute pact that I will fly fish EVERY month of the year - no matter what! And FlyGals right on the money ....... those BWO hatches love to come off when it's down right nasty in the weather department!
Old 06-14-2008, 11:41 AM

Dry fly magic is on a distinguished road

I would say im prettty hardcore. Most of my friends think im weird because im 14 and all I do is fly fish. I have two places I walk/ride my bike to everyday after school. I used to be a hardcore spinner and worms guy but fly fishing has taken me over. In my opinion catching trout on my 4 weight all alone in nature gives me more of an adrenaline rush then any video game, amusement park, or sport I can think of
Old 06-15-2008, 06:54 AM

Let your friends think your weird DFM, but you are learning a lot about nature while fly fishing and when you come off the water you will start to see so many parallels between nature and our "society".

IMHO - fly fishing is a fantastic classroom that brushes on nature, self awareness (both physical and mental) and a good hard look at human kind.

That's great your so hooked on FF, keep at it. I have seen many a youngsters that whole worlds were opened to them through FF.

Thanks for sharing DFM!
Old 06-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGal View Post
Let your friends think your weird DFM, but you are learning a lot about nature while fly fishing and when you come off the water you will start to see so many parallels between nature and our "society".

IMHO - fly fishing is a fantastic classroom that brushes on nature, self awareness (both physical and mental) and a good hard look at human kind.

That's great your so hooked on FF, keep at it. I have seen many a youngsters that whole worlds were opened to them through FF.

Thanks for sharing DFM!

That is so true FG. I know I look at road kill in a whole new way LOL (fly tying).
I was in the yard working several years ago, and a perfect BWO landed on my hand. I showed my Hubby and he looks and says, I wonder how many other guys wifes say "look at this bug" laughing, but it is true.
With gas prices going up which means everything else including FOOD, I am really looking at nature more.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:38 PM

Off the top of my head here are some nature areas that FF brush on and may spark a career other than guiding, retail or manufacturing:

hydrology - study of water resources

ichthyology - study of fish

chronobiology - study of biological rhythms

ecology - study of environment

entomology - study of insects

luviology - study of watercourses

hydrobiology - study of aquatic organisms

hydrokinetics - study of motion of fluids

limnobiology - study of freshwater ecosystems

microclimatology - study of local climates