The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 01:32 AM

gearguy is on a distinguished road
Default How hardcore are you?

Alright all you die hards, are you the occasional angler, the Frequent Flyer, or the "I dream of blood knots and split shots"?

Do you ever search Youtube for fly fishing videos just to see someone else catch fish?

Whats your story? How Hardcore are you?
Line: Scientific Angler Mastery Series

gearguy
Old 05-29-2008, 07:46 PM

Kai is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How hardcore are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearguy View Post
Alright all you die hards, are you the occasional angler, the Frequent Flyer, or the "I dream of blood knots and split shots"?

Do you ever search Youtube for fly fishing videos just to see someone else catch fish?

Whats your story? How Hardcore are you?
Except for winter, I'm fishing at least once a week, more likely 2-3 times a week when water levels are favorable, and I'm not a guide. Is that hard core?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:21 PM

I'd say thats hardcore. I try to get out once a week. In the winter i get into ice fishing mode and go at least once a week.

gearguy
Old 05-29-2008, 10:32 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

I often dream of fishing...so much that I have flipped myself off the couch setting the hook. Actualy right now I am on my way up to upper Manatoba/Saskatuan after pike with a fly rod. I do more bass, pike, and musky fishing then anything. I often dream of big fish and that 220 pt buck that always gets away (30 pt buck to you guys in WI). When I was younger and things were cheaper, I spent more days in the boat then I did on dry land.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:38 PM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

Hi, I would say that I am pretty hardcore. I go fishing every night when the weather permits. I also fish on both of my days off when the weather permits too. I do go fishing in the rain if not to severe. Which it has been lately in the midwest. If I can't fish I am tying flys to occupy my time. I pretty much just work, sleep and fish. I have no kids and not too much to worry about at home.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:14 PM

fin??whatfin?? is on a distinguished road

i was hardcore went everyday after school when rivers were open. then i moved away to school now i go on weekends once in a while.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:59 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Definitely hard core.

My activities are comparable to Kai's. Since the ice cleared on March 1st (Which was the same day as last year, FWIW), I've been out twenty times. That's about once a week. Now that school is out and I'm not teaching classes, my frequency will go up considerably.

Yes, I glance at videos on you tube...
Old 05-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I fish at least 3 days a week, including winter. I will fish as long as my guides are not icing up on every other cast.
To get me to tie is like pulling teeth, but once I sit down, I can't stop.
I tie flies for my Hubby and Brothers along with others if I have the lucky fly, I also sell them.
I make and sell furled leaders. I guided for Falcon's Ledge but this year I am guiding for Utah Fly Drifters. I guide rivers and Stillwater.
Okay, I have a 2 - 4' pontoon, an H3, 2 - Navigator II, and 2 - Cardiac Canyons. Half my Hubby's but at my use.
I do watch programs about ff all the time, plus fly tying videos. I an working on my own Video or You-Tube.
For some reason, I always get the first fish and the BIGGEST, but not always the most.
I love to help and I teach casting at the Library any chance I get.
Big time into "Casting For Recovery", due to my grandmother dying from, my sister 10 yr recovery, plus several friends with and no longer with us from Cancer.

HARD CORE.....I don't think so, just like breathing for me.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:41 PM

Joni, you are one hardcore, fish breathin angler. Nice.

gearguy
Old 06-03-2008, 11:59 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I like the last line Joni. Pretty much sums it up. Some people call it a hobby, some people call it an obsession, I call it life. Out there when I can be, when I'm not I'm usually tying flies, building another rod or watching another video. Just waiting for my kids to get to the age when I can take them with.