The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 07:51 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default St. Croix Imperial

OK, I have a 9ft. 5wt St. Croix Imperial mated with a Ross Flystart #2 reel. A humble beginning.

My question is this: What opinions do you have concerning the St. Croix Imperials? I'm looking at a 7'6" 3wt. for $90 for panfish. I'd probably mate it with a Ross Flystart #1. I'll get to flyline, leaders and such later.

At some point, I'd love to get into St. Croix Avid's. I missed an Avid 6' 3wt (wth case) for $80. I like the idea of a lifetime warranty. Though I'm not married to St. Croix, I like their stuff.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:26 PM

da Bear is on a distinguished road
Default Re: St. Croix Imperial

Hey fella', I'm not married to St. Croix either, but for the money their products can't be beat...in my humble opinion. I've fished since a boy of 6 and am disabled now and fish 3-4 days a week if I can, and an old fiberglass Eagle Claw 7 wt. and a new ST. CROIX 6 wt. are my favorites. The fish don't know the difference between a Sage and a willow switch. Its how the man behind the rod handles and presents that counts. I would only suggest you not take the ego driven BS to heart. Fishermen in general tend to be such. Take care.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:27 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

I just bought a 4 wt. Avid and am completely in love with it. It is my favorite rod to cast. I also own a 7'6" 3wt Cabelas rod that I bought for 50 bucks and I love it for small stream trout fishing. I believe the model is 3 forks and as far as price goes can't be beat in MHO.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:01 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Yeah, my philosophy is this: just because you have a $10K set of golf clubs does NOT make you Tiger Woods.

I just wanted some opinions about the St. Croix Imperials as they are not made anymore. I know they are not generally considered as "good" as the new Avid's or the Reigns', but if they were, they would not have discontinued them (IMO).

Just like anything else, I'll learn on my 5wt. Imperial, then (someday) move onto something else. Perhaps I look back to my Imperial and think, "Why the hell did I even HAVE that thing..." but probably not. I'm sentimental in alot of things, this will probably be one.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Axle,

I have never seen a St Croix Imperial but I think Cliff has stated they are a good rod. I could be mistaken about that but I seem to remember a post by Cliff about the Imperial.

I think it is probably a slow to mid action and will be a very good rod to learn with. This is a guess but that is all I have.

Frank
Old 06-10-2008, 02:48 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 7'6" St. Croix Imperial in 4wt. The rod I have was part of the final year's run, and the older models have a slightly different look. It's a great
rod: very light, and very responsive. Build quality is superb. I also have a
St. Croix Pro inthe same length and wt, but that rod seems a bit more stiff
than the Imperial. Although I've hardly used either of these 4 wts, they
are both excellent rods. The Pro had a huge full wells grip, and cheesey
reel seat, and both were replaced. The Imperial has a smaller grip than
the 5wt Imperial, something usually seen on lighter weight quality rods.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:46 PM

UPDATE

Although I haven't made it out on the water as of yet, I've been practicing (as time allows) with my Imperial. I also purchased a 8'6" Avid in 4wt for panfish.

I got a chance to cast the both in succession. I'm torn. The Imperial feels more like a fencepost, but I can throw it reasonably well (being I'm a beginner). The Avid feels a bit better, but being that's shorter and the action is more of a medium-fast....I don't know. Two different animals.

I will say this: After casting them both in my backyard, I can throw both 25 to 30ft but I was really eager to take the Avid out on the stream.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Frank recalled right, though I'm late to chime in. I bought a early edition StC Imperial 2pc 7' 3/4wt from a Presby Preacher buddy of mine for $20 and it has been a FINE investment.

I don't use it often enough, but it is a remarkably capable and versatile rod. I fish it with a 3wt most often, and it bends sufficiently, but retains a stout disposition while flinging the 3-string. With a 4wt it bends a bit more, but still has oomph to throw 60'+ when needed. I stick the 4 wt on it for throwing larger flies (up to size 8) and the 3 for general purposes.

An Imperial won't be the prettiest rod out there, or the lightest, but it will serve you well for as long as you want to take reasonably good care of it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.