Do trout See Hooks?!

cmdrstp

Reaction score
This has always troubled me. And, I need some education...as usual! I know trout can be finicky and unpredictable. But, what is more important...the particular fly choice or presentation? Logic tells me both must come into play. But, how can we be so caught up in a fly's pattern, size, and even subtle color options...only to ignore the hook? I've heard that a MINOR changes can mean success or failure. But, one thing is constant...........the hook. Do not these damn creatures see the hook? What in nature does that hook simulate? I see all attention to such subtle differences in color but never to the fact there is a sharp, shiny metal object sticking out of it! Especially from a trout's field of view coming up to take the fly. How can a trout be sooooooo particular about a fly, but ignore that hook?!

tlcrep

Reaction score
This has always troubled me. And, I need some education...as usual! I know trout can be finicky and unpredictable. But, what is more important...the particular fly choice or presentation? Logic tells me both must come into play. But, how can we be so caught up in a fly's pattern, size, and even subtle color options...only to ignore the hook? I've heard that a MINOR changes can mean success or failure. But, one thing is constant...........the hook. Do not these damn creatures see the hook? What in nature does that hook simulate? I see all attention to such subtle differences in color but never to the fact there is a sharp, shiny metal object sticking out of it! Especially from a trout's field of view coming up to take the fly. How can a trout be sooooooo particular about a fly, but ignore that hook?!
Trout's finickyness is stupidity. They will eat cigarrettes, gravel etc. They will put almost anything in their mouth. Then they will get something that is actually edible. But they arent smart enough to see the whole for what it is. They just take key attributes from it. So when they see the hook it is not something they worry about, it is the aspects that they are keying in on that they are interested in.

The above is not fact, I dont think anyone can say factually how a fish's brain works, but I do believe that experts would agree that that is probably how a fish works.

Fish being finicky is not a fish being smart, it is a fish that is too dumb to be able to comprehend the whole food entity as one and is keying in on one or a couple of aspects of the food and us not having the right characteristics in the fly.

FlyGal

Reaction score
In my experience finiky trout = high fishing pressure for that area. The fish have seen many flies and learned not to eat those they remember are trouble. When I fish an area like this I automatically go to a much longer leader and take care not to disturber the water more than necessary to prevent spooking.

Trout eat what ever is in season with regards to hatches, when no hatch is going on under or above - then the fish get too hungry to be picky...

I feel it's the hand of man that complicates things, literately.

So I don't think it's the hook that bothers them.....heck I've hooked a trout hand it wiggle off and when I recast to the same fish he took it again.....

cmdrstp

Reaction score
"But they arent smart enough to see the whole for what it is. They just take key attributes from it. So when they see the hook it is not something they worry about, it is the aspects that they are keying in on that they are interested in."............................That does make sense.

jclampwork88

Reaction score
In my fishing experience, the hook doesn't seem to matter. I even believe that the best tied fly isn't the best for fishing. Some of the most badly tied flies catch more fish then the ones that are perfect.

John

FlyGal

Reaction score
Well, maybe the really smart ones do key in on hooks....Who could say for sure...

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Gary LaFontaine addressed this issue once in a 'Traveling Fly Fisherman' Seminar I had attended.
His thought was that fish look for 'Positives' in the food they eat, such as size, color, action, etc. And that the hook was a 'Negative' that was not really looked at very closely.

It really does make you wonder though, especially when you use an over sized hook on a smaller pattern.

tlcrep

Reaction score
Gary LaFontaine addressed this issue once in a 'Traveling Fly Fisherman' Seminar I had attended.
His thought was that fish look for 'Positives' in the food they eat, such as size, color, action, etc. And that the hook was a 'Negative' that was not really looked at very closely.

It really does make you wonder though, especially when you use an over sized hook on a smaller pattern.
Sounds exactly like what I said, "positive" = attribute. I am glad the famed Mr Lafontaine agrees with me :frogdance

mojo

Reaction score
Suppose a trout or any other fish sees a hook. Do you think they really know what it is. I haven't seen too many fish tie flys or use a fishing rod.
No comprendo in other words.

jose

Reaction score
I also think fish go for the "positive attributes" and can only explore things by putting them in their mouths. If it taste bad or seems wrong they quickly spit it out...unless there's one of us on the other end of the line waiting to lift that rod : )

da Bear

Reaction score
I must agree w/ TLCREP. As a youth I caught trout on potato chips, tin foil, chewing tobacco, etc. Are they a rational and analytical creature? Depends on who you ask. So, don't take the word of any old fisherman, for we are all know to STRETCH things a bit. I would suggest this instead. If you have a spare fly of the same type, simply cut the hook off a little below where the end of the fly is completed and cast to these same fish. The weight remaining will keep the fly in the proper direction float wise, and if needed add a very small split shot. You can still determine if the fish takes the fly and will answer your own question w/ your own experience. That is the true teacher...at least that has been my experience. Take care.