The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 12:57 PM

cmdrstp is on a distinguished road
Default Do trout See Hooks?!

This has always troubled me. And, I need some education...as usual! I know trout can be finicky and unpredictable. But, what is more important...the particular fly choice or presentation? Logic tells me both must come into play. But, how can we be so caught up in a fly's pattern, size, and even subtle color options...only to ignore the hook? I've heard that a MINOR changes can mean success or failure. But, one thing is constant...........the hook. Do not these damn creatures see the hook? What in nature does that hook simulate? I see all attention to such subtle differences in color but never to the fact there is a sharp, shiny metal object sticking out of it! Especially from a trout's field of view coming up to take the fly. How can a trout be sooooooo particular about a fly, but ignore that hook?!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:44 PM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Do trout See Hooks?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrstp View Post
This has always troubled me. And, I need some education...as usual! I know trout can be finicky and unpredictable. But, what is more important...the particular fly choice or presentation? Logic tells me both must come into play. But, how can we be so caught up in a fly's pattern, size, and even subtle color options...only to ignore the hook? I've heard that a MINOR changes can mean success or failure. But, one thing is constant...........the hook. Do not these damn creatures see the hook? What in nature does that hook simulate? I see all attention to such subtle differences in color but never to the fact there is a sharp, shiny metal object sticking out of it! Especially from a trout's field of view coming up to take the fly. How can a trout be sooooooo particular about a fly, but ignore that hook?!
Trout's finickyness is stupidity. They will eat cigarrettes, gravel etc. They will put almost anything in their mouth. Then they will get something that is actually edible. But they arent smart enough to see the whole for what it is. They just take key attributes from it. So when they see the hook it is not something they worry about, it is the aspects that they are keying in on that they are interested in.

The above is not fact, I dont think anyone can say factually how a fish's brain works, but I do believe that experts would agree that that is probably how a fish works.

Fish being finicky is not a fish being smart, it is a fish that is too dumb to be able to comprehend the whole food entity as one and is keying in on one or a couple of aspects of the food and us not having the right characteristics in the fly.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:26 PM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

In my experience finiky trout = high fishing pressure for that area. The fish have seen many flies and learned not to eat those they remember are trouble. When I fish an area like this I automatically go to a much longer leader and take care not to disturber the water more than necessary to prevent spooking.

Trout eat what ever is in season with regards to hatches, when no hatch is going on under or above - then the fish get too hungry to be picky...

I feel it's the hand of man that complicates things, literately.

So I don't think it's the hook that bothers them.....heck I've hooked a trout hand it wiggle off and when I recast to the same fish he took it again.....
Old 05-29-2008, 03:56 PM

cmdrstp is on a distinguished road

"But they arent smart enough to see the whole for what it is. They just take key attributes from it. So when they see the hook it is not something they worry about, it is the aspects that they are keying in on that they are interested in."............................That does make sense.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:35 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

In my fishing experience, the hook doesn't seem to matter. I even believe that the best tied fly isn't the best for fishing. Some of the most badly tied flies catch more fish then the ones that are perfect.

John
Old 05-29-2008, 07:45 PM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

Well, maybe the really smart ones do key in on hooks....Who could say for sure...
Old 05-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Gary LaFontaine addressed this issue once in a 'Traveling Fly Fisherman' Seminar I had attended.
His thought was that fish look for 'Positives' in the food they eat, such as size, color, action, etc. And that the hook was a 'Negative' that was not really looked at very closely.

It really does make you wonder though, especially when you use an over sized hook on a smaller pattern.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 05-30-2008, 02:56 PM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Gary LaFontaine addressed this issue once in a 'Traveling Fly Fisherman' Seminar I had attended.
His thought was that fish look for 'Positives' in the food they eat, such as size, color, action, etc. And that the hook was a 'Negative' that was not really looked at very closely.

It really does make you wonder though, especially when you use an over sized hook on a smaller pattern.
Sounds exactly like what I said, "positive" = attribute. I am glad the famed Mr Lafontaine agrees with me
Old 05-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Your in with good company. R.I.P. Gary.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 05-31-2008, 08:39 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Suppose a trout or any other fish sees a hook. Do you think they really know what it is. I haven't seen too many fish tie flys or use a fishing rod.
No comprendo in other words.