The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Confessions of an ignorant, torn, happy and possibly unworthy noob. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/44656-confessions-ignorant-torn-happy-possibly-unworthy-noob.html)

sevenmxf 09-02-2010 11:03 AM

Confessions of an ignorant, torn, happy and possibly unworthy noob.

3 weights are for sissies and tiny trout that aren't worth catching.

That about summed up my initial impression - only a few short weeks ago - as I was trying to comprehend fly fishing, an entirely new thing for me. Why would I get a lower number, when more and bigger is always better here in the great US of A? Ignorant? Absolutely.

Flash forward :: Last week my son Xavier and I fished a few Adirondack streams with borrowed ultralight gear - 3 wt fiberglass rods - for brookies. Wow, it was fun, making my 6 weight feel like rebar and making my initial understandings seem neanderthalesque. It was so much fun in fact that I embarked upon a mission. Orvis nailed me with their recent Superfine offer. How could I resist when they were going for $120 off? I drove over to their flagship store yesterday and picked up a 7'6" 3 weight (Full 2.5 flex) and a CFO reel.

Happy? Absolutely.
Unworthy? Well, probably... but give me time.

Cheers, all!
Michael

axle27 09-02-2010 11:20 AM

Re: Confessions of an ignorant, torn, happy and possibly unworthy noob.

Ahhhh, grasshopper...

You have seen the light in the darkness...and it's not an oncoming train.

Chasing native brookies is a different sort of challenge...I felt the same way the first time...

It's like beer, for most of us. The first time you had it, you probably hated it, but look at ya now...

peregrines 09-02-2010 12:01 PM

Man i had to laugh---What a great title for a thread!

great stuff, congrats on the new rod -- and please keep us posted on your expeditions for wild brookies (but don't name the streams to keep them safe from too much pressure).

sevenmxf 09-02-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peregrines (Post 131909)
Man i had to laugh---What a great title for a thread!

great stuff, congrats on the new rod -- and please keep us posted on your expeditions for wild brookies (but don't name the streams to keep them safe from too much pressure).

Mum's the word, Mark...

Michael

adkjoe 09-02-2010 01:37 PM

I love fishing the adirondacks, grew up there. I just hate that I can't carry a pistol with me in the back country in the communist country of NY like I can here in the free state of Vermont.

Hardyreels 09-02-2010 01:50 PM

There's nothing like a brook trout Michael,

There are big trout, there are small trout but when you have in the palm of your hand a brook trout you are holding a link to the distant past. I don't push books often but......... I got myself a copy of Nick Karas's 'Brook Trout' In the late 90s and found it a great learning tool. I've always been into learning about the science, biology, and theory that are the foundation of my outdoor pastimes. This fellow did a bang up job of educating me on brookies. I've fished for these jewels from their southern most range in the tiny rivulets in the mountains of North Georgia all the way to Gos Mourn in Newfoundland and tried to hit as many places in between as was possible for me to do. I will call the brook trout (actually a true char) my favorite fish.

Not every brook trout I caught would fit in the palm of my hand :D

fredaevans 09-02-2010 03:10 PM

What we have here 'Boys and Girls' is a Candidate for "Post of the Year." Looking forward to seeing where this Puppy goes.

Fred

sevenmxf 09-02-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkjoe (Post 131922)
I love fishing the adirondacks, grew up there. I just hate that I can't carry a pistol with me in the back country in the communist country of NY like I can here in the free state of Vermont.

So, adkjoe -

YOU were the one who shot at me on Otter Creek earlier this week??? You missed but scared the hell outta me. There was no way I was giving up that spring-fed hole. :)

Michael

Sasha 09-03-2010 01:21 AM

3 weights are for sissies; 0 weights are for real men!

Congrats on finding the addiction that is small streams with small gear!

I have a blast with that sort of thing. Oh and like somebody else mentioned earlier. Keep those creek/stream/river names secret.

P.S. I wasn't kidding about the 0wt :D ;)

Vans 09-03-2010 01:32 AM

From a greater nOOb to a lesser one.....

Great post!