The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 07:55 AM

HELLFIGHTER5308 is on a distinguished road
Default Leader knots

I have a question regarding the preferred knot to be used in tying leader. I like the double uni because it is so simple and smooth. The double surgeon is also simple but seems to be a little bulkier. What do ya'll suggest?

Kenny, Jacksoville FL
Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Leader knots

You might also want to take a look at the thread, "What knot do you tie your fly on with", under Forum Polls. While mainly concerned with tippit-to-fly knots, there are some suggestions in it for general leader and leader-to-tippit knots as well.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Kenny,

You didn't give us a lot of information. Are you making your own leaders or are you asking about adding a tippet to a leader? What is your target fish?

In general, when making leaders a blood knot is used. No reason you couldn't use the uni knot. The surgeon knot is not usually used for making leaders as it is too bulky. When tying on tippets you can use the blood knot, the Uni knot or the surgeon knot. You can also add tippets with a loop to loop connection.

Frank
Old 06-04-2008, 10:21 AM

Frank,

Thanks for the reply. I will be tying my own leader for an 8 wt I use in salt (reds, trout, flounder) water, and a 5 wt I use in fresh (bream, bass).
Old 06-04-2008, 10:34 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLFIGHTER5308 View Post
Frank,

Thanks for the reply. I will be tying my own leader for an 8 wt I use in salt (reds, trout, flounder) water, and a 5 wt I use in fresh (bream, bass).
Blood knots are generally used for all that and a perfection loop at the end---if you need a shock tippet on the saltwater leaders, it gets a little more complex getting the strength up in the class tippet ---generally a bimini twist and an albright or a slim beauty
Old 06-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Blood Knots here.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:07 PM

Thank you all for the responses.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi HELLFIGHTER,

For saltwater I would not tie my own leaders. The chance of hooking a very large fish is high and I would not want any more knots than necessary. I agree with Shorthaul about the Bimini twist and an Albright for your 8wt on a knotless leader. For Inshore I do fish with a knotless leader and fasten on the tippet with a Uni. It is quick and dirty for smaller fish. There is no advantage with tyeing your own saltwater leaders. A knotless Saltwater leader will last a long time unless you are fishing coral.

If you want to tie leaders for your 5wt then the blood knot is the primary knot. With practice it is fairly fast to tie at home. I guess you could use an Uni knot but I have never tried it except to tie on tippets.

Frank
Old 06-05-2008, 07:06 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Yep --Frank---the knotless are good---i was albie fishing with a knotted leader and the captain tried landing a hot one by the tail and my leader and the knots ran through his other hand when the fish took off for another run---oops

he gave me one of his leaders for the other 2 days

I just saw some extruded (knotless) leaders for tarpon and the shock tippet is built in but my friend was cutting the shock tippet off and adding 50# flourocarbon.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Hi Mike,

Well there is another reason not to use knotted leaders for saltwater. I have never used knotted leaders for saltwater so didn't consider that problem. I could see it happening very easily.

Years ago I made my own leaders but when the good knotless leaders hit the market I switched.

How does your friend tie on the 50lb fluor tippet?

Frank