The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By mojo
  • 1 Post By Pocono

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 03:52 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default E Glass vs S Glass rods.

Sorry Folks, I'm having a total mental block here. Seeing several references to "E-glass" rods and have little (any?) idea what they are/primarily used for.

Waaaaay back in the day (Lamiglas still does a few of these) "S-Glass" was the transitional material from 'fiber glass' to graphite. Dear God those were great rods; only man-made product that had the qualities (the good ones) of a cane rod in hand.

If anyone ever decides to bring out a line of rods made with "S Glass" I'm going to be into these 'big bucks.' They were that good.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: E Glass vs S Glass rods.

I have a pair of those old cane colored golden yellow Lami's Fred. The 9' 7wt is just like a soft cane rod.
fredaevans likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-04-2010, 09:19 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Fred,

Mojo is going to be more informative here than I am, but here's what I think I know.

S-glass is, generally, going to give you a faster blank than E-glass. I frequently fish one of the Diamondback Diamondglass 3 wts., that has a good "fast" action for a glass rod. It's made from S-glass. I also have a TL Johnson fiberglass rod (8'0" 4 wt.) that's an S-glass blank; reinforced in places with carbon fiber.

The best E-glass rod blanks and rods are probably going to come from Mike McaFarland.

Again, Mojo will fill in the blanks on this post and make any corrections that are needed.

Pocono
Old 09-04-2010, 11:21 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Pocono's correct about the S-glass being faster.
E-glass is about 10 million modulus. That's about average for a bamboo fly rod from what I've been told.
S-glass is about 12 million modulus- faster than E-glass. (Orvis' Superfine series is about 40 million modulus)
E-glass builders are as mentioned, Mike McFarland
Lamiglas has been building the E-glass Honey colored fly rods and blanks for years now and I think it's sadly coming to an end.
There are a lot of new designers, builders today working with glass, whether or not it's E, S, or like Pocono mentioned TL Johnson's Synergy (which I absolutely love) and that's S-glass over a low modulus carbon fiber scrim . One of my favorite rods.
Fred Paddock -beautifully designed E-glass
Larry Kenney- (one of the original owners of Scott fly rods) is now designing and building glass rods- e-glass using resin impregnated prepreg.
Another name that's synonymous in the fishing world- Tom Morgan- again working and designing rods with E-glass and Kerry Burkheimer is rolling them.
Kubuto glass rods out of Japan- totally unbelievable. Google it up.
Scott has a glass rod out again this year- S-glass.
Steffan Brothers- some of the best S-glass rods out there. Plain looking but arse kicking.
Sweetgrass now is offering a Drukman designed glass rod- Sam I guess has said adios to Winston and is working for Sweetgrass now and word has it from another birdie that Kerry Burkheimer is also rolling the rods that Sam is designing
And like Poc said Diamondback's Diamondglass is S-glass. For some unknown reason they're no longer being made- and they were a popular rod. With all the fiberglass fly rod interest in the past few years, I can't understand the thinking behind Cortlands decision to drop the line, except it's a corporate bull sh_t call by a bean counter. They just should have tried to sell the brand.
Supposedly TFO had a glass rod in their lineup last year but I think they were just testing the waters. Haven't heard anything about it lately.
There's more builders and designers out there and a lot are in Japan.
So there's just a few choices you have. I have E-glass, S-glass and hybrids. I also have to say I love my graphites. From slow to fast. Just depends on the mood I'm in and the waters and style of fishing I'm doing.
Anyway, what was the question again?
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:23 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Great rundown on glass rods, Mojo.

........trouble is......now you're going to have me looking at rods again!

The question from Fred was; what are E glass rods used for? I think he's got his answer.

Pocono
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:29 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: E Glass vs S Glass rods.

I think that all inclusive answer just cost me an hour on Google!

Many thanks Chaps.

Fred

Edit: this may take longer than I thought .... turns out there's a web board for 'glass guys.' http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/directory
Old 09-05-2010, 07:21 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
I think that all inclusive answer just cost me an hour on Google!

Many thanks Chaps.

Fred

Edit: this may take longer than I thought .... turns out there's a web board for 'glass guys.' fiberglassflyrodders - Message Board
Maybe I should have just told you to go there. It would have been a lot shorter post
Pocono and I are members of that fraternity. Great bunch of guys there.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:43 PM

Member there, not much I could contribute, but a hell of a lot I could learn.